Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

lizrowden
Helper I
Helper I

Drill Down suggestions

I need a suggestion on how to accomplish a drill down. I am in SQL server direct query mode.

Simplified form of the data looks as follows:

TechnicianInvoice #Parts RevenueWarranty LaborContract LaborBillable Labor
Ed12345 $           33.23 $            100.00 $           100.00 $         100.00
John12345 $           34.33 $            100.00 $           100.00 $         100.00
Bill12346 $           49.99 $            100.00 $           100.00 $         100.00

I have created a new measure in the report to sum the labor columns (Total Labor = SUMX('Reporting TechnicianProductivity','Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[GratisLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[NonbillableLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueWarrantyLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[GratisLaborOt]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[NonbillableLaborOt]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueLaborOt]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueContractLaborTravel]) and have that 'Total Labor' number, as well as, a number of the other revenue categories, in a stacked column chart visualization by Technician, which is perfect for the end-user. I do not want the individual labor categories to be broken down in the main visualizations.  I also have a Table visualization with the same details that are in the bar graph (but have this information by technician and invoice number). However, the end-users would like to be to drill down and see break-down of that information that makes up 'Total Labor' if necessary. Could anyone suggest some options?

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@lizrowden wrote:

I need a suggestion on how to accomplish a drill down. I am in SQL server direct query mode.

Simplified form of the data looks as follows:

Technician Invoice # Parts Revenue Warranty Labor Contract Labor Billable Labor
Ed 12345  $           33.23  $            100.00  $           100.00  $         100.00
John 12345  $           34.33  $            100.00  $           100.00  $         100.00
Bill 12346  $           49.99  $            100.00  $           100.00  $         100.00

I have created a new measure in the report to sum the labor columns (Total Labor = SUMX('Reporting TechnicianProductivity','Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[GratisLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[NonbillableLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueWarrantyLabor]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[GratisLaborOt]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[NonbillableLaborOt]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueLaborOt]+'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueContractLaborTravel]) and have that 'Total Labor' number, as well as, a number of the other revenue categories, in a stacked column chart visualization by Technician, which is perfect for the end-user. I do not want the individual labor categories to be broken down in the main visualizations.  I also have a Table visualization with the same details that are in the bar graph (but have this information by technician and invoice number). However, the end-users would like to be to drill down and see break-down of that information that makes up 'Total Labor' if necessary. Could anyone suggest some options?

It seems that you may look for ALLEXCEPT? How does this measure go in your case?

Total Labor =
SUMX (
    ALLEXCEPT (
        'Reporting TechnicianProductivity',
        'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[Technician]
    ),
    'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[GratisLabor]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[NonbillableLabor]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueLabor]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueWarrantyLabor]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[GratisLaborOt]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[NonbillableLaborOt]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueLaborOt]
        + 'Reporting TechnicianProductivity'[RevenueContractLaborTravel]
)
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can use ALLSELECTED wrapped in CALCULATE along with your measure can give you the desired result.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what that means. Could you provide more details and what the end result would look like?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.