Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dgilm33
Helper I
Helper I

Donut Graph disappearing when using FORMAT dax

Hello, I am attempting to use a SWITCH formula to change between a count of something to the sales. This works, however I need the sales to show the "$" sign when switched to it, and the count to be formatted as general. When I attempt to use the FORMAT dax in my switch formula the donut chart viusal disappears. However the same formula with the FORMAT included works in a table. Why does this not work in a donut chart and is there another way of achieving this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vicky_
Super User
Super User

The reason it doesn't work (probably) is because when you use FORMAT, the type of your measure changes to a text rather than a number (which can't be aggregated in the same way). One way of getting around this is by using the using the dynamic formatting option for your measures. You can take a look at the SQLBI tutorial for doing so here: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/introducing-dynamic-format-strings-for-dax-measures/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
vicky_
Super User
Super User

The reason it doesn't work (probably) is because when you use FORMAT, the type of your measure changes to a text rather than a number (which can't be aggregated in the same way). One way of getting around this is by using the using the dynamic formatting option for your measures. You can take a look at the SQLBI tutorial for doing so here: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/introducing-dynamic-format-strings-for-dax-measures/

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.