Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Divide two Calculation Items

Hello community, 

I have a calculation group where I have a couple of calculation items, which perform a SUMX of a measure SUM(kg) and a referenced table with several columns, where I have the prices at a certain implementation date, e.g.

Jan21:
SUMX (
    'BX_Table',
    SELECTEDMEASURE()
        * RELATED ( 'VRP Prices'[01.01.2021] )
)

Jun21:
SUMX (
    'BX_Table',
    SELECTEDMEASURE()
        * RELATED ( 'VRP Prices'[01.06.2021] )
)

via a slicer on the calculation group, the user can chose the price applied to the SELECTEDMEASURE(kg) he wants to see. That works fine. 

What I want to achieve now, is a DIVIDE or subtraction when two Calculation Items are chosen. I wouldn't mind if the formular breaks when more then two Calculation Items are chosen - in the first instance, I just want to show the % between the value June vs January.

My first attempt was at reading out the Calculation items used, but this does not seem to work. Has anyone an idea?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I got the syntax for TREATAS wrong, try using VALUES( CalcGroupSlicer1[Name])

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hashtag_pete
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @johnt75 
thanks for your suggestion, however it won't work for me. I tried several things, but maybe I am misinterpreting your formular:

In the comparison measure, the TREATAS function always gives me an error. Is the Expression missing?

I have as a first snippet:

Comparison Measure = 
    VAR firstValue = 
        CALCULATE(
            [Summe Gewicht kg],  //this is my base measure, also used for Calculation Group
            TREATAS(CalcGroupSlicer1[Name], ImplementaionDateSelection[Name]))  //first element is underlined red, and following the syntax an expression is needed here. However, I cannot insert SELECTEDVALUE(CalcGroupSlicer1[Name]) so I don't know what expression is needed. 

looking at your formular, it looks like you have two columns in your TREATAS, but this throws an error?

I think I got the syntax for TREATAS wrong, try using VALUES( CalcGroupSlicer1[Name])

johnt75
Super User
Super User

You could create 2 new copies of your calculation group table just for use on the slicers.

Calc slicer 1 = VALUES('Calculation Group')
Calc slicer 2 = VALUES('Calculation Group')

Do not create any relationships from these tables, leave them totally disconnected.

You can then create measure to perform your division or subtraction or whatever like

Comparison measure =
var firstValue = CALCULATE( [Base measure], TREATAS( 'Calc slicer 1'[Calc item], 'Calculation Group'[Calc item]) )
var secondValue = CALCULATE( [Base measure], TREATAS( 'Calc slicer 2'[Calc item], 'Calculation Group'[Calc item]) )
return DIVIDE( firstValue, secondValue )

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.