Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Tom898
Regular Visitor

Displaying data from SharePoint list into a simple bar chart

So I am trying to set up a process. An audit form is linked to a sharepoint list that includes the columns: workspace, date, and then a column for each of the 5S' so Sort, Store, Shine, Sustian, Standardise. Under each of the 5S columns they have a number for each entry, e.g 4 / 6 / 7 / 2 / 9 and so I want to have a bar chart that can just display this one entry, filtered by date. As similar to the image as possible however that is done by converting the results into a percentage, this is fine as a solution. The second Image is how the data is displayed in the sharepoint list, essentially for each for i want to be able to display a bar chart, possibly using the filter tool on the dashboard as well to switch between the dates. I just can't get the bar chart to be refined to this.

IMG_1406.jpg

Tom898_0-1708425540221.png

8 REPLIES 8
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tom898 

Your data source needs to be transformed so each column name after Date becomes a category with another column corresponding its values. That would be something like

Sort 6

Sort 4

Sort 8

Store 6

Store 10

Store 6

In order to do that, go the query editor, select the first three columns, go to transform and select unpivot. You can rename the generated columns called attribute and value as desired. Those  7s'es should now be in one column with their corresponding values in the next column.

Below is just a sample of what unpivot does. Just ignore the data as it doesn't make sense to unpivot it

danextian_0-1708426940561.png

danextian_1-1708426957096.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

When I put the unpivoted data in the chart, all the 7s catagories are shwoing as the same value, despite them all having different ones. Do you know why this may be?

Tom898_0-1708508297551.png

Tom898_1-1708508330836.png

Okay I've figured that part out now, an question I have now is that my plan was to publish this dashboard (once finished) and then use power  automate so any new data put into the sharepoint list will automatically update into power BI, will this work with these columns unpivoted? 

Hi @Tom898 

You can use Power Automate to trigger a Power BI dataset refresh which means that the semantic model in the service gets refreshed with the updated data but as per documentation, the dataset refresh limit is 16 per day inclusive of API and scheduled refresh. If you wish to create a streaming/realtime dataset, you can't use Power Query so no unpivot. Here's how to create a streaming dataset with Power Automate + Power BI + SP List - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmJJHFGwWFc&ab_channel=KeaPointTechTips 

But honestly, I find, the auto-update as the sharepoint list is updated an overkill. I'd be fine with getting the most updated report as of yesterday or as of the last few hours but not every second.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.

I mean the sharepoint won't be getting that many updates, just when someone carrys out an audit. So am i unable to present the date in thr format I want while having it automatically update?

If you are within the API limit, you still can automatically trigger a semantic model refresh.  It's just that if you want more than that, you have to pay more.

Okay. I still don't really understand your orignal solution, how do i display the data unpivoted. My main problem is that there isn't just a normal bar chart, they're all clustered or stacked

How do I then access that back in power BI? Those columns now don't show up in the data tab. This is literally my first time trying to use power BI so don't know anything 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.