Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ConnieMaldonado
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Disable "Test as Role" feature in published report

I'm working on a report with highly sensitive payroll data.  I'm using RLS to limit views based on organization hierarchy.  A manager can only see records for his/her direct reports.

Because there are multiple admins on the workspace, I'd like to set up a secure workspace and only provide access to specific individuals.

Is there a way to disable the "Test as Role" feature on the published report?

If an admin on the workspace downloads the pbix, there's really no way to limit what they can see within the pbix - is that true?

We're trying to lock down the access and prevent individuals from viewing the data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ConnieMaldonado I don't think there is a way to disable this also if a user has permission to download the file they will see everything in the file, no way to protect/limit the access to the data.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ConnieMaldonado there is nothing specific to download but I think falls under this category, and only the viewer role cannot download the contents. I always prefer to share content using Power BI App instead of giving access to the workspace. Just my 2 cents.

parry2k_0-1662498211665.png

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ConnieMaldonado yes he can be removed and others can be added as an admin, check workspace roles here Roles in workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@ConnieMaldonado I don't think there is a way to disable this also if a user has permission to download the file they will see everything in the file, no way to protect/limit the access to the data.

There is one person (who set up Power BI for the organization) who appears to be admin on everything.  Is it possible to remove him from the admin role and only provide access to the workspace to someone who has authority to view the data?  

One more question - I don't see Download the PBIX on the roles list, but I guess you would need access to the workspace to do that.  We also have export data turned off.  I can't test it as I'm an admin on the current workspace.  Who can download the PBIX?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.