Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KrisD
Helper II
Helper II

Different results depending on dax in measure vs. same dax in variable

Hi!

I am scratching my head with this one, and am obviously missing something. Seems to be some calculation difference between a variable and a measure reference?

I have two measures intended to display a cumulative average month by month, one of the measures has a variable with some calculation in it. This measure displays the wrong result. 

If I however put the same piece of code in a separate measure and reference that measure instead of having it in a variable, it displays the correct result. 

What is causing the same piece of code to render different results depending on it being in a measure vs. a variable. Pictures below. 

100.PNG

Below is the code which is used in the two other measures following further down: 

This gets me the average number of tickets per year-month:

103.PNG

These two measures below are using the above code in two different ways:

101.PNG102.PNG

So as you can see the code in the first picture is being used both as a variable and as a measure reference in a calculate statement. 

Why am I getting different results with the same code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

When calculated as a variable first it is in the evaluation context of the visual.  Putting the variable inside the CALCULATE(variable, FILTER(...  does not recalculate the expression in the desired new evaluation context.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

When calculated as a variable first it is in the evaluation context of the visual.  Putting the variable inside the CALCULATE(variable, FILTER(...  does not recalculate the expression in the desired new evaluation context.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.