Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Boycie92
Resolver I
Resolver I

Difference between 2 columns in a Matrix Table

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me.

I want to calculate the difference between two columns on a Matrix Table

At row Level I have Department.

At Column Level I have Date. This is an actual Date column within the Data

At Values Level I have headcount. This is a measure and the following formula has been used: DISTINCTCOUNT(‘Employee’[Person ID])

I essentially want to compare the difference in Headcount between two specific dates.

For Example:

April                       May                       Difference

Headcount          Headcount          Headcount

10                           9                              -1

I have read other blog post and I have tried the following formulas

Previous Month = CALCULATE([HEADCOUNT],FILTER(ALL(‘Employee’[Date].[Month]),MAX(‘Employee’[Date])-1))

Difference = IF(ISBLANK([Previous Month]=0),CALCULATE([Headcount]-[Previous Month]))

By the looks of the results I am getting Mays Data.

When using the difference formula I am getting blank spaces

Can anyone tells me were in going wrong with this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Boycie92,

It seems like I forget some conditions. You can take a look at below formulas if it works on your side, I upload the pbix file.

MinMonthHC =
var temp= LASTNONBLANK(Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Department])
var resultMax= SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount])
var resultMin=SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount])
var currMinCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth])))
var currMaxCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth])))
return
if(AND([minRowCount]=[maxRowCount],[maxRowCount]=COUNTAX(VALUES(Sheet3[Department]),[Department]))||AND(currMinCount=currMaxCount,currMaxCount=1),resultMin,if(currMinCount=0,0,resultMin))

MaxMonthHC =
var temp= LASTNONBLANK(Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Department])
var resultMax= SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount])
var resultMin=SUMX(FILTER(Sheet3,Sheet3[Department]=temp&&[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth]),Sheet3[Headcount])
var currMinCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MinMonth])))
var currMaxCount=COUNTROWS(FILTER(SUMMARIZE(ALLSELECTED(Sheet3),Sheet3[Department],Sheet3[Date].[MonthNo],"HC",SUM(Sheet3[Headcount])),AND([Department]=temp,[Date].[MonthNo]=[MaxMonth])))
return
if(AND([minRowCount]=[maxRowCount],[maxRowCount]=COUNTAX(VALUES(Sheet3[Department]),[Department]))||AND(currMinCount=currMaxCount,currMaxCount=1),resultMax,if(currMaxCount=0,0,resultMax))

In addition, if above still contain some incorrect part, please provide sample data to test.(my test data is created by random function)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.