Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

eddydm
Advocate II
Advocate II

Devellopment 2 branches of same pbix-file

I have a pbix-file with data about activities of some persons of some departments they are working for.

I need a solution to see only some measures by the whole company or by some departments.

Another version is needed to see results about some individuals.

I dream about a system where it is possible to copy to solution with possibilities of selections by individuals to a solution where i delete (or hide) the individuals and the slicers concerning individuals. Any ideas are appreciated.

Or can I solve this problem, without making two versions of this solution?

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @eddydm,

Row level security (RLS) can be used to restrict user access to data within dashboards, tiles, reports, and datasets. Multiple, different users can work with those same artifacts all while seeing different data.

So I'm wondering if RLS feature in Power BI could help in your scenario. For more details about Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI, you can refer to this article. Smiley Happy

Regards

I've already heared about RLS and know that this technique can reduce the data someone can see.

I don't think this is a solution for my problem.

Perhaps an example can make it easier to understand. I have a table with data concerning expenses made by some people. For each person I know the department where he is working.

So I can make a powerbi- report with a page where I show all the departments and the total expenses related to that department.

Another page I show departments in a slicer and another slicer with the persons of the chosen departments and a visual that shows the total expenses of the selected people.

The organisation ask me to publish the report to all the head of departments and show them the visual of the total expenses related to a department (even the departments where they are not the head...)

The organisation ask me to publish also the report to the same people with the visual of the expenses per person, but only for the persons working in a department they are head of.

The second report is almost the same as the first one except

* there is a selection possible of people

* there is a rls needed to show only persons for the departments where the user is the head of department.

How can i achieve this in one pbix file? Or do I really need to copy the first solution and adjust this copy to use rls and add the slicer for departments.

I even need a third report that has the same capabilities of the first and the second, but in the second the user has access to all the departments. This user is (let us say) the responsible person for all the expenses!

Do I really need a third copy of the solution.

I don't like to work with different copies, because this gives many problems when there is a little change in the business logic. (With 3 copies or branches I need to make the changes 3 times ... )

I hope this will clearify the situation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.