Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Delete multiple columns with condition - Power Query

Dear Community !

My data has columns names as the first day of each month (ex: 1/1/2019, 2/1/2019, 3/1/2019 etc) - 12 Columns for an year.

Need your help to figure out how to remove columns whose names DO NOT CONTAIN current year (2023 in this case), however, I don't want to hardcode the year. Currently I am using below, which solves the purpose, by using multiple lines for each year, however, I was looking for one PQ function.

Any help is welcome ! Thanks in advance !

= Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type1",List.FindText(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"),"2019"))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

To remove the columns that do not contain the current year dynamically, you can use the following Power Query function: = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type1", List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"), each Text.Contains(_, Text.From(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())), Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))) This formula uses the Text.Contains function to check whether the column name contains the current year dynamically by using the Date.Year and DateTime.LocalNow functions. It then selects only the columns whose names contain the current year using the List.Select function, and returns the filtered table using the Table.SelectColumns function. This should help you achieve your goal of removing columns dynamically without hardcoding the year. Let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

To remove the columns that do not contain the current year dynamically, you can use the following Power Query function: = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type1", List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type1"), each Text.Contains(_, Text.From(Date.Year(DateTime.LocalNow())), Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase))) This formula uses the Text.Contains function to check whether the column name contains the current year dynamically by using the Date.Year and DateTime.LocalNow functions. It then selects only the columns whose names contain the current year using the List.Select function, and returns the filtered table using the Table.SelectColumns function. This should help you achieve your goal of removing columns dynamically without hardcoding the year. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Anonymous
Not applicable

THANK YOU @Adamboer ! Did the job precisely 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.