Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

daw7560
Regular Visitor

Date/Time Format

I am having issues with getting a date/time format to appear correctly in Power Bi. The first picture is my excel file as a single column in a Date format that shows time, m/dd/yy hh:mm. Then when I connect the excel file to Power Bi, the same column is displayed as a date format only, shown in the second picture. Then I transform this column as a date/time format to show both, but the problem is it displays the wrong time. Everything is 12am now, shown in the third picture. I have tried to change the format in model view in the table and tried doing Locale format transformation.

Does anyone know how to get Power Bi to display the correct date/time format from this excel source? I am guessing I need to split the columns in excel giving a date format to one and time format to another, then merge them again in Power Bi. 

daw7560_0-1699022040571.png         daw7560_1-1699022240216.png       daw7560_2-1699022333022.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @daw7560 

Do you perform the type transformation or it is automatically done by Power BI? What I mean is in the steps on the right, you should go to the changed type and remove the step. Then, you should have data as in your Excel file

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @daw7560 ,

Try turning off auto data type detection

vcgaomsft_0-1699260572666.png

Then manually convert it to a Date/time type.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

mlsx4
Super User
Super User

Hi @daw7560 

Do you perform the type transformation or it is automatically done by Power BI? What I mean is in the steps on the right, you should go to the changed type and remove the step. Then, you should have data as in your Excel file

mh2587
Super User
Super User

Check the time zone settings maybe its help you

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.