Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Krishna1992
Helper I
Helper I

Datatype is not same while importing from SQL Server with direct query in power BI desktop

Hello Everyone,

Datatype for sql server 2012 with direct query import to powerbi is not the same. 

SQL Server 2012:

Untitled.png

Powerbi:

Untitled2.png

Ex. in SQL Server 2012 datatype was int but while importing in powerbi it was float or decimal.

I cannot use import mode because file is huge.

What should I do ?

Please help me.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Krishna1992,

I can't reproduce this issue.(I test with sql 2016) Which version of sql and power bi desktop you test?  If you switch import mode, did this issue appears?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Used sql server 2012 and latest powerbi desktop.

In sql server 2012, added the tables and performed query to change the datatype. Meanwhile when I tried to import it into the powerbi desktop changed datatype (query which I performed doesnt take effect).

In import mode also same datatype is appearing but in import mode we can change the datatype.

But my issue is I need this in direct query only.

Please let me know if anything possible, do I need to change something in sql server.

Thanks.

Hi @Krishna1992,

It seems like you change column type after get data to power bi. If you create new report with same data source, did this data type issue appears again?

If data type issue fixed on new report, I'd like to suggest you save your direct query mode report as template.

After these steps, you can try to use template file to generate new report with same datasource to see if data type issue fixed.

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I have converted in sql server and imported into the power bi.

No Issues thanks for the comment.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.