Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cy2452

Database Refreshing

HI, 

I had a PowerBI with SQL query direct import ( I copy and pasted the query), everytime I make any changes, it refresh the query and I often get error message saying the SELECT permission was denied because our IT department refresh the databased daily and they do not give access when the database is refreshing. 

The data I have only update monthly, so really no need to refresh everytime I touch it. Is there anyway I can only refresh the data once a month or only when I manually hit refresh?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cy2452 

You can disable the 'include in report refresh' of the data in Power BI desktop whilst you're doing your dev work, through Power Query Editor, and right clicking on your tables:

JamesHarpin_0-1657808155829.png

And when you're ready to publish I would enable load, and then set up a scheduled refresh to automate the data refresh each month.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
cy2452

Thank you!! 

James-Harpin
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @cy2452 ,

You mentioned you are using SQL direct query as the import method? I would reccomend changing this just to import if you're wanting to refresh just once a month. And then when you publish your report you can setup scheduled refresh, to refresh your dataset automatically, depending on the time frame you set.

Hi James, 

Thank you for the reply. I sorry for the confusing terminology. I used Import ( i called it direct import, my apology).  I just import and load the data yesterday, and now I want transform data and add another column, but I received a datasource Error because our IT is refreshing the database and not allow us to access the database.  The data I loaded yesterday will not change until next month, so there is no need for me to refresh the data anyways.  I am wondering how do I stop the refresh until next month. 

Thank you

@cy2452 

You can disable the 'include in report refresh' of the data in Power BI desktop whilst you're doing your dev work, through Power Query Editor, and right clicking on your tables:

JamesHarpin_0-1657808155829.png

And when you're ready to publish I would enable load, and then set up a scheduled refresh to automate the data refresh each month.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.