Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Data classification and Dynamic Data Masking in SQL

If we were to make use of Data Classification https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/sql-data-discovery-and-classifica... And Dynamic Data Masking https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/dynamic-data-masking?view=sql-ser... in our Azure SQL DB and then import into Power BI.

I wondered what would happen on the Power BI Side. Would the data just loose its masking and classifications?

I would love to get some extra information on how these SQL services are brought through (or not) into Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE ,

For the moment, the data obtained by Power BI connection to SQL is the same as the data returned by querying in sql with the same account.

About Dynamic Data Masking , when you use a user that sees data in a table in the database that is encrypted, then using that user to connect to the corresponding table in SQL using Power BI, the data displayed will also be encrypted.

Refer :

SQL,user:MaskingTestUser 

vluwangmsft_0-1643016620821.png

Power BI,login user:MaskingTestUser:

vluwangmsft_1-1643014610163.png

However, when querying the data in the table, intuitively the data does not change, so it seems to me that the results from connecting to PowerBI Desktop are also consistent with the results returned by select queries in sql using the account logged in to PowerBI Desktop.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Interesting stuff. Thank you

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DebbieE ,

For the moment, the data obtained by Power BI connection to SQL is the same as the data returned by querying in sql with the same account.

About Dynamic Data Masking , when you use a user that sees data in a table in the database that is encrypted, then using that user to connect to the corresponding table in SQL using Power BI, the data displayed will also be encrypted.

Refer :

SQL,user:MaskingTestUser 

vluwangmsft_0-1643016620821.png

Power BI,login user:MaskingTestUser:

vluwangmsft_1-1643014610163.png

However, when querying the data in the table, intuitively the data does not change, so it seems to me that the results from connecting to PowerBI Desktop are also consistent with the results returned by select queries in sql using the account logged in to PowerBI Desktop.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.