Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Peter_Yaacoub
Frequent Visitor

Data Storage

Hi everyone!

We are new to Power BI and would like to visualise our results with the option of a monthly update based on the new data fed in.

The issue we are facing is the data being stored in human-friendly excel files (which are later converted to pdf reports) in an unstructured manner.

I am looking for your tips/advice on how to proceed with organising/storing my data to meet my end-goal of automatic monthly updates.

Thank you in advance

Peter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi, 

if i understood your problem, you need to create an excel file for each month and store them in a folder. In this folder each month you add a new file.

Then instead of loading the single file you load the folder.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerQuery would automatically "APPEND" data from all the Monthly Files to the same table. It becomes easier if you have a name pattern for the files like "SalesDate_YYYYMM.xlsx". 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Yaacoub
Frequent Visitor

Capture.PNG

Hi Serpiva,

Thanks for your response. Above is a screenshot of a table I am preparing from the unstructured excel files. I understand it needs to be in flat format before being loaded to Power Bi. I am not sure how to take it from here so monthly data is added resulting in a dashboard update.

Hi, 

if i understood your problem, you need to create an excel file for each month and store them in a folder. In this folder each month you add a new file.

Then instead of loading the single file you load the folder.

Hi Serpiva,

Thanks a lot for the solution I will definitely try this. I was wondering if it's possible to create one table and adding the new data to it through the "Append Queries". 

Anonymous
Not applicable

PowerQuery would automatically "APPEND" data from all the Monthly Files to the same table. It becomes easier if you have a name pattern for the files like "SalesDate_YYYYMM.xlsx". 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You have various options with PowerBI for the updates (based on the license you have - Pro or Premium).

You could use Data Alerts or your users can use Monthly Subscription to the report or you can use APIs to push the Reports to your users.

serpiva64
Super User
Super User

Hi, if you can provide some sample data it would be easier to evaluete if there is the necessity to modify excel files and in which direction

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.