Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkDG

Data Source and report promotion

Hi All,

We have a report created with a snowflake connection and OAUTH credentials for directquery. However, this was in our production environment. I had the same report in the test folder, where the database parameter was different. I renamed the report/dataset to try and force a distinction because I'd realised that when changing credentials for the test connection, the production version was also changing and users were losing access to the data.

How do I publish/promote a dataset/report from test to production that allows a separate (identifiable) connection with production so allows me to smoothly promote to live and alter the credentials in test when necessary? 

Thanks, Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

To promote a dataset/report from test to production with a separate identifiable connection, you can follow these steps:

1. Ensure that the production database and the test database have the same schema and structure.

2. Update the dataset's connection string in Power BI Desktop to point to the production database.

3. Publish the updated dataset to the Power BI service.

4. Update the report to use the new production dataset.

5. Test the report to ensure that it works correctly with the production dataset.

6. Publish the updated report to the Power BI service.

7. If necessary, update the credentials for the production dataset in the Power BI service.

By following these steps, you will be able to promote the dataset/report to production with a separate identifiable connection, and also smoothly promote changes from the test environment to the production environment when necessary.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

To promote a dataset/report from test to production with a separate identifiable connection, you can follow these steps:

1. Ensure that the production database and the test database have the same schema and structure.

2. Update the dataset's connection string in Power BI Desktop to point to the production database.

3. Publish the updated dataset to the Power BI service.

4. Update the report to use the new production dataset.

5. Test the report to ensure that it works correctly with the production dataset.

6. Publish the updated report to the Power BI service.

7. If necessary, update the credentials for the production dataset in the Power BI service.

By following these steps, you will be able to promote the dataset/report to production with a separate identifiable connection, and also smoothly promote changes from the test environment to the production environment when necessary.

Hi Adamboer,

I don't believe this solves my issue. The production database and dev/test databases are all in the same instance of Snowflake. The issue is I can't change the credentials to log in to Snowflake, it all needs to be the same service account and I would like to have more than one.

If I go to the admin settings, 'manage connections and gateways' and 'new', cloud is greyed out. This is intended, my manager says. However, I would expect to be able to set up multiple connections to the same resource using different login credentials and I can't. Updating the production report credentials also alters the test report and vice versa.

I imagine creating a brand new report with a new dataset would allow me to use different credentials to log in to Snowflake, however I haven't tested this and from experience trying to change the login details as I do so will change the only connection to Snowflake I have, as has happened with test/live.

I am just trying to publish to production and don't want one login to have access to everything we publish in Power BI.

Is there a way round this?

Thanks, Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.