Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

J4ns3n
Frequent Visitor

Data Lineage Visualization

Hello,

I am currently exploring ways to improve the data lineage overview across multiple workspaces. Having successfully accessed the Microsoft API and collected data from various workspaces, I now face the challenge of visualizing this intricate web of data flow.

My goal is to create a comprehensive overview that allows users to delve deep into specific workspaces, reports, datasets, and dataflows. Specifically, I want to highlight any loading errors, identify their sources, and assess whether they impact multiple reports.

If you have any suggestions or insights on achieving this, I would greatly appreciate your input.

2 REPLIES 2
J4ns3n
Frequent Visitor

Hi Clara, 

Thank you for your reply, but I was more looking to a way to show it to users of reports. This is because the lineage view can only be shown for 1 workspace and we have multiple workspaces. In addition, the lineage view that you suggested is hard to filter or make selections. I would prefer a visual that can be easily selected and can adjusted so errors in refreshes are highlighted. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best regards,

Joris

v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @J4ns3n ,

Power BI has multiple item types, such as dashboards, reports, semantic models, and data flows. Many semantic models and data flows connect to external data sources, such as SQL Server, and to external semantic models in other workspaces. When a semantic model is located outside of a workspace that you own, it may be located in a workspace that is owned by IT staff or other analysts. External data sources and semantic models ultimately make it more difficult to know where the data came from. For both complex and simple projects, we have introduced the lineage view.

vkaiyuemsft_0-1713837581468.png

In the descent view, the descent relationships between all the projects in the workspace and all their external dependencies can be seen. It shows the connections between all workspace items, including connections to upstream and downstream data flows.

More details can be found in the documentation: Data lineage - Power BI | Microsoft Learn.

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.