Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Bug when summarizing with nulls

I've got an odd bug I believe. My data looks like this:

Bug 1.png
If I put that into a table with no summarizing, it looks as above.

When I put Budget/Forecast as Summarize and hours as don't summarize, I only get Budget/Forecast, Hours is blank. When I do the oposite, set Budget/Forecast as don't summarize and Hours as summarize, I get hours with blanks for Budget/Forecast. 

Bug 2.png

Setting the nulls to 0 fixes the issue, but why is the system doing that? It is throwing data away, which feels like a bug to me. 

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure I would call that a bug. It's an issue around the visuals trying to prune out unnecessary data and only focus on what is important so technically it is by design. When you are summarizing on one or the other, you are getting nulls back for that summarization. When the visuals see this, they throw out those rows because it assumes that they are worthless, no data. So, when you summarize by budget/forecast it throws out the null rows where you have hours and vice versa. It's a visualization optimization thing that just doesn't pan out in your specific circumstance.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would agree if all values shown were null, but if I have data to display (a non-null row) it should show irregardless of if the sum column is null or not.

Frankly, if that's by purposeful design, it's a poor design. Not showing data is very confusing for the user (it took me a while of troubleshooting to figure out why I wasn't seeing those records as expected), and potentially dangerous from a BI perspective (missing data can lead to thinking there is no data and bad decisions). 

Hi @Anonymous,

You could enable the "Show items with no data" option for those unsummarized fields.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.