Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pmdci
Advocate V
Advocate V

DAX: relating a field from another table in a function

Hi,

I created the following DAX calculated column, which I am using across different tables.

=(YEAR(Today())-YEAR(DATEFIELD]))*12+MONTH(Today())-MONTH([DATEFIELD])

This field calculates how many months have elapsed from the date found in DATEFIELD until the time the model is processed. It works quite well, except for one little caveat: The DATE FIELD must exist within the table itself.

But what if I want to relate to a date found at a date dimension table? Say that I only have a datekey in the table I want to hold my calculated field, and I want to refer to the date field found in the date dimension table. How would I go about it? I tried playing with the RELATED() function but I only got errors.

Regards,
P.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Neuro81 and @ankitpatira

Sorry for the trouble, but I managed to fix it in the end

=(YEAR(Today())-YEAR(RELATED('Availability Calendar'[Date])))*12+MONTH(Today())-MONTH(RELATED('Availability Calendar'[Date]))

The problem is that I got lost with the number of parenthesis (how lame!) So I deconstructed the formula and use a replace function to make it work.

Wish I could delete this post altogether. Again sorry for wasting your time! Smiley SadSmiley Mad

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Neuro81
Helper I
Helper I

What errors did you get?
also did you create a relationship between the two tables in the diagram view?

-- ------------------------------ --
Please mark solutions as complete when your question has been answered

@Neuro81 and @ankitpatira

Sorry for the trouble, but I managed to fix it in the end

=(YEAR(Today())-YEAR(RELATED('Availability Calendar'[Date])))*12+MONTH(Today())-MONTH(RELATED('Availability Calendar'[Date]))

The problem is that I got lost with the number of parenthesis (how lame!) So I deconstructed the formula and use a replace function to make it work.

Wish I could delete this post altogether. Again sorry for wasting your time! Smiley SadSmiley Mad

@pmdci
Sometimes its best to talk it out.

Whenever I get stuck I usually take a walk and try not to think of the problem and a lot of the time the solution just comes.

Its good that you take the time to try and fix the problem yourself instead of just waiting till someone comes to help you!!

Please mark solutions as complete when your question has been answered

@Neuro81 There is a relationship, yes. Between the fact table in which the calculated column is located, and a Date Dimension table. The linked fields are called DATEKEY in both tables.

Here is what I tried:

=(YEAR(Today())-YEAR(RELATED('Availability Calendar'[Date]))*12+MONTH(Today())-MONTH(RELATED('Availability Calendar'[Date]))

But Visual Studio gives me a syntax error message.

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@pmdci You can make use of RELATED function. It will work since you have relation between two tables.

@ankitpatira as I mentioned in my original post, I tried it but I only got errors.

@pmdci what is the error you getting when using RELATED.

@ankitpatira I get a syntax error. See above.

Regards,

P.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.