Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bvanevr
Frequent Visitor

DAX count with count filter

I am needing help with a complex formula needed for error checking.  This all needs to be done in DAX (not in the Query editor) as there are dynamic filters in the report that need to impact these counts.  Example of dynamic filter is Status toggle for user to select X or not X.

I need to count the number of ID's associated with a sold-to and return a count of sold-to if that first count is greater than 1.

Sold to| ID|Status

1          | A  |X

2          | B  |

3          | C  |

1          | D  |

1          | E  |

2          | F  |X

Returns counts of

1          | 3

2         | 2

3         | 1

Filter for > 1 -- Sold to # 1 has 3 associated ID's which is an error

1          | 3

2         | 2

Next I need to be able to roll all of these up to a single filter (set any count > 1 to "Filter)

8 REPLIES 8
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @bvanevr,

Create a simple measure like this:

ID count = DISTINCTCOUNT(TableName[ID])

Add field [Sold to] and measure [ID count] into table visual, add field [status] into slicer. Click the table visual, apply a visual level filter like below.

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @bvanevr

Try this

Go to Modelling Tab and press the "NEW TABLE" button

New Table =
FILTER (
    SUMMARIZE (
        TableName,
        TableName[Sold to],
        "ID Count", DISTINCTCOUNT ( TableName[ID] )
    ),
    [ID Count] > 1
)

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

Thanks for the fast response

I was able to create the table, but it does not allow for dynamic filtering from within the report.  For example if the user does not want status = X  In that case the count for Sold-to = 1 would not be 3 but 2  and Sold to = 2 would be 1 and would be filtered out.

Returns counts of

1          | 2

2         | 1

3         | 1

Filter for > 1 -- Sold to # 1 has 2 associated ID's which is an error

1          | 2

@bvanevr

Hi, Use this Measure in the Table. Then you can add a slicer for Status

ID Count =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( TableName[ID] ),
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( TableName[Sold to] ),
        CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( TableName[ID] ) > 1 )
    )
)

Regards
Zubair

Thanks Zubair,

I was able to replicate your solution.  

Would you be able to help with 2 phase of my question?  I need to be able to provide users with an item to click that would act as a filter to only display those records >1 independent of the dynamic filter for Status.  Idealy a table with one value "Click to Filter Mult IDs".

In the past I used a 2nd table to map values, but since we are generating the count on the fly so the count is not a column in the ingested table, I cant create a relationship on the count.

@bvanevr

Hi,

You can add an ID_Count calculated column as well. Then you can use it a slicer for Users to select records>1

ID_Count =
CALCULATE (
    DISTINCTCOUNT ( TableName[ID] ),
    FILTER ( TableName, TableName[Sold to] = EARLIER ( TableName[Sold to] ) )
)

Regards
Zubair

thanks @v-yulgu-msft for the reply.

I was able to reproduce result, but would really like a spreadsheet way of doing this.  How my scorecard currently works is

Capture.PNG

The 6 is coming from a Card and the "Filter" is a spreadsheet filtered to include only "Filter.  This allows the user to see the count of Sold to failing a rule and then click "Filter" to see the associated records.  Based on prior answers i was able to get the "Filter" to display, but it does not complress to a single line Capture.PNG

I hope this makes sense to you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.