Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Vamsikrishna
Regular Visitor

Custom Parameters

Hi I am pretty new to Power Bi. I was trying to create custom text parameter and call that parameter in contains. My idea was to use that parameter as filter. Below is the scenario. I have a table called Table1 with one column Division.

Table1: Division

AAA,BBB.CCC

BBB.CCC.DDD.

DDD.CCC.AAA

BBB.EEE.FFF

FFF.AAA,BBB

FFF,AAA,DDD

AAA.BBB,DDD

I wanted to create a filter with values like 1. AAA 2. BBB 3. CCC 4. DDD 5. DDD 6. EEE 7. FFF

When I select AAA in filter I should receive the count as 5 and If I select CCC the count as 3.  In tableau it was very stright and very easy. How to achieve this in power bi

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor, right click on the column and select Split column > By delimiter.  Specify the delimiter and under Advanced, select rows.  Click on Close and Apply.  Now create a slicer from the single column.  Write this measure

=COUNTROWS(Data)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Hi Ashis, I tried this but how can I user the list of columns in a slicer. I am trying to create custom filter or parameter and use that opject to filter in table. It is like a search criteria in the table using contains/filter function.

Thanks - Vamsi.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

The easiest way to get the result you want would be to create a measure:

mNumStringFinds = COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1, SEARCH("FFF", 'Table1'[Division], 1, 0)))

Create a card in report view and drag this measure on to it.  The user can edit the string to search for in the formula bar.

To select the value to search for from a slicer is more complicated and, as far as i know, involves creating separate measures for each string to search for, and creating another measure to call them from.  Here is a tutorial of the idea:

dynamic measure call example

Hi, I followed the steps but it is being static. How can I make it dynamic I mean I wanted to select individual filter options instead make themstatic. Please advise.

Thanks - Vamsi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.