Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cottrera
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Custom Column or Column Measure

Hi I am trying to a new column to a table that seaches the a column called ' Job Details' If the text in this table contains the word "Urgent" I would like y new column to say "Yes" otherwise leave blank.

The issue I have is that the report is using a Direct Query therefore I cannot add a custom column in power query.  Any suggestions

Direct Query Table
RefJob Details*New* Column = Urgent
1Fix Tab UrgentYes
2Fix Stairs 
3Fix Tap 
4Fix Roof UrgentYes
5Fix Gate 
6Fix Bath 
7Fix Shower 
8Fix Window 
9Fix Roof UrgentYes
10Fix Window UrgentYes
11Fix Shower UrgentYes
12Fix Tab UrgentYes
13Fix Bath 

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That is actually an incorrect assumption.  You CAN have calculated columns in Direct Query as long as the computation is limited to the same row. Which is the case in your scenario.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about#implications-of-using-directquery

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That is actually an incorrect assumption.  You CAN have calculated columns in Direct Query as long as the computation is limited to the same row. Which is the case in your scenario.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-about#implications-of-using-directquery

Thank you for your response. I ready the document and you were right. I tried again and it did not work at first. It seemed that the applied steps were also affecting me adding a custom column. So I more the custom column step in front of all the other steps and it seemed to work.

RIchard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.