Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cumulative budget per day

Hello,

I'm struggling with getting a cumulative budget per day. The budget is fixed data coming from an Excel file. It's broken up into a few categories:

Budget per month, per sales reps, per product category.

I'm able to create  a matrix visual and have the current sales next to the Monthly Budget and have it filter by Month, Sales Rep and Product.  Below is an example of what I currently have. I was able to verfy all the data is correct.

PBIH1.PNG

The sales group would like a cumulative per day as well. I'm not sure if I have an incorrect relationship behind the scenes, bad date table or possibly a missing date column in my budget table to create the correct relationship? The results I get right now show incorrect numbers that don't validate against the budget. I inherited a crazy pbix file and I have a feeling the budget isn't being spread across the correct date table. I can share the file if need be. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You are not showing data by day. What Cummaltive means here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You’re right. In the example picture I’m just showing that I can show it by month (if you choose a month from the slicer) or by year if you you don’t choose a month from the slicer.
I’m trying to get it to show cumulatively per day.

Datesmtd/totalmtd and datesytd/totalytd can help you. you need to have a date table.

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))
YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD('Date'[Date]))

You can use isfiltered or isinscope, to control MTD and YTD.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/isinscope-function-dax

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Proud to be a Datanaut Connect on Linkedin

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

When does your budget reset - monthly, quarterly, all time cumulative, etc ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this:

Cumulative =
VAR __MTD =
    TOTALMTD ( [Total], 'Table'[Date] )
VAR __YTD =
    CALCULATE (
        [Total],
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[Year] ),
            'Table'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Table'[Date] )
        )
    )
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Year] ), __YTD,
        HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Month] ), __MTD
    )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume it would reset every month. But as you can see, they want a slicer for the month. So if no month is chosen I assume it should show MTD and just be cumulative almost like a YTD. And if a month is chosen from the slicer it would show MTD.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.