Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

smpa01
Super User
Super User

Crossfiltering issue in calcualtion group

@AlbertoFerrari @parry2k @bcdobbs @AlexisOlson @BernatAgulloMVP 

TLDR: how can I ensure, the correct cross-filtering happens on other visuals when a calculation item field is clicked?

I am expermeting with a simple data model  which looks like this

smpa01_0-1714492995455.png

and I have made visuals like this

smpa01_1-1714493119262.png

smpa01_2-1714493159750.png

To my surprise, when I click on this, I see test measure being overwritten, I expect this to return 1.

smpa01_3-1714493272076.png

How can I fix this? I don't have paid version of TE, in case it requires that.

Thank you in advance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Proud to be a Super User!
My custom visualization projects
Plotting Live Sound: Viz1
Beautiful News:Viz1, Viz2, Viz3
Visual Capitalist: Working Hrs
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@smpa01 you have to eclude this measure in the calculation item. Learn methods to exclude measures in calculation groups with DAX functions and Field Parameters - Yo...

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@smpa01 Thanks for the feedback. As you said, if you are not careful with CG you can run into many challenges and that's why I have way too many videos on CGs. I have much more to do as I encounter these challenges but cannot find the time to record.

Appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

BernatAgulloMVP

either this or just remove the interaction if you don't need it.

You can also apply the calcualtion group inside a measure, so it's not part of the filter context. 

I general, though, I prefer to specify over which measures it should have effect and leave the rest as they are. You can even set up a calculated table with the names of the measures and then check  the contion IF(SELECTEDMEASURENAME() IN VALUES('affected measures'[measure]), /*do stuff*/, SELECTEDMEASURE())
If you do stuff with the format string then do the same:
IF(SELECTEDMEASURENAME() IN VALUES('affected measures'[measure]), /*do stuff*/, SELECTEDMEASUREFORMATSTRING())

@BernatAgulloMVP  thanks. can you please provide me an example of what do you mean?

You can also apply the calcualtion group inside a measure, so it's not part of the filter context.

If you don't need to swap the base measure you can define a new measure that goes like

New measure = CALCULATE ([basemeasure], 'Calc Group Name' [calc group column] = “calc item name“)

You will loose the dynamic format though. The workaround is an extra Calc group, but that's probably overkill

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@smpa01 you have to eclude this measure in the calculation item. Learn methods to exclude measures in calculation groups with DAX functions and Field Parameters - Yo...

@parry2k  Thank you very much. You saved my day. The video is awesome to say the least and reveals a very import CG Gotcha.

I could not find anyhting in MS documentation regarding CG Gotchas.

CG requires a lot of babysitting and careful considerations. Also, it would have been nice if there was a way to refrence a measure folder path that conatins all the measures to be excluded, rather than creating a parameter table to utilize dynamic exclusion.

Something like this

smpa01_0-1714495555712.png

Thanks again. You did great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.