Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaambor

Cross reference customer number to alternate customer numbers to accurately track sales

Hello Power BI community,

First off, thanks for taking the time to look at my issue, second of all I am google trained with Power BI, and might be asking a rookie level question, so I apologize in advance. 

I am trying to figure out how solve a problem with linking customer numbers and alternate numbers.  When I track sales, I want the sales that have the Vendor 1 (one time buyer) and Vendor 2 (Subscription ) numbers to be reflected back on my internal number for ease of tracking. 

I can’t use the other vendor numbers as many times they duplicate or frequently reuse the numbers and I wanted to have a clean lookup table to use.  I have no ownership of the process, just trying to make it less time consuming so I can just import the excel docs and be done.

All of our customers have a unique internal number (N1234) so I wanted to use these as a lookup table.  The problem is both of our vendors assign an individual number of their own to the same customers. And sometimes there is only one alternate number

Our Internal #          Vendor 1         Vendor 2

N1234                   S9876                    H4567

N1235                   S9875                    --

N1236                   --                           H4568

N1237                   S9873                    H4569

N1238                   S9872                    H4560

Here is how my excel download looks like:

Cust ID                  Item                      Qty         Cost      

S9873                    124578                  2              50.00

H4568                    235689                  1              25.00

S9876                    235689                  4              100.00

I would like my Power BI to show a chart where I can have an output:

Customer            Items Ordered         Sales

N1234                   4                            100.00

N1237                   2                             50.00

N1236                   1                             25.00

Thank you all for your assistance and expert advice.

Jeremy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jaambor ,

Pls create new column on base table ,then create new table on the base table and new column:

Items Ordered = 
IF (
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Qty], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 1] ) <> BLANK (),
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Qty], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 1] ),
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Qty], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 2] )
)
Sales = 
IF (
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Cost], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 1] ),
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Cost], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 2] )
)

vluwangmsft_0-1661827557166.png

Then create new table:

Table3 = SELECTCOLUMNS(Table1,"ID",Table1[Our Internal #],"Items Ordered",Table1[Items Ordered],"Sales",Table1[Sales])

vluwangmsft_1-1661827593505.png

You could download my pbix file if you need.

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jaambor I will not go with the solution provided by @v-luwang-msft . In my opinion, it is not a scalable solution.

What @bcdobbs  is provided the way to go. Transform the vendor table and finish what he started:

once the vendor table is created, close and apply, set the relationship on the vendor id column with the sales table and that's it. from there, in any visual use internal id from this new table and sum of sales, or sum of orders, count of orders, any measure it would work.

The other worst part of @v-luwang-msft solution is that if you have to add a new measure in the feature, you have to do that conditional checking every time and it will have potential performance issues, so NOT AT ALL SCALABLE. Good luck! 

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jaambor ,

Pls create new column on base table ,then create new table on the base table and new column:

Items Ordered = 
IF (
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Qty], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 1] ),
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Qty], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 2] )
)
Sales = 
IF (
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Cost], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 1] ),
    LOOKUPVALUE ( Table2[Cost], Table2[Cust ID], Table1[Vendor 2] )
)

vluwangmsft_0-1661827557166.png

Then create new table:

Table3 = SELECTCOLUMNS(Table1,"ID",Table1[Our Internal #],"Items Ordered",Table1[Items Ordered],"Sales",Table1[Sales])

vluwangmsft_1-1661827593505.png

You could download my pbix file if you need.

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

Thanks for your solution, I will test it out tomorrow and see how effective it is.  It looks like it will work great.  

Jeremy

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Hi Jeremy,

I think I would take table into PowerQuery (Transform Data).

Selected your Cust ID column and click Unpivot other columns.

That would then let you look up any of your ids from a vendor id.

You'd end up with a table like:

bcdobbs_0-1661539689809.png

As long as those with only one vendor id were left as blank (null) values power query will deal with it.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.