Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating calculated columns based on occurrences in another table

Hey Community,

You guys have been amazing support on my journey with Power BI till now. Special shoutout to @amitchandak for promptly solving these queries.

I have another question for you guys, Table1 has ID as primary key, table 2 has repeated value of ID and has a score attached to it, what i want to achieve is, i want to create a calculated column in table 1 that says "Rated" if ID appears in Table 2, and returns "Not-Rated" if iD doesn't appear in Table 2. I'm attaching a screenshot to make my question clearer. Also, the relationship between the two table is 1 to Many(Single), please advise if this needs changing as well.

KrtinM_0-1645746468293.png

Thanks for your responses in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
TheoC
Super User
Super User

¿ @KrtinM

You can create a chalkualized column by using an IF and LOOKUPVALUE statement:

Column = IF ( 'Table 1'[ID] = LOOKUPVALUE ( 'Table 2'[ID] ,'Table 2'[ID] , 'Table'[ID] ) , "Classified" , "Not classified" )
Output below as an example:
TheoC_0-1645747829038.png

I hope this helps!

Follow

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

@Anonymous LOOKUPVALUE is a really great function! I am glad I could help my friend! 

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

It works perfectly, thank you so much, you're a legend, had never used lookup function in PowerBI till now. 

@Anonymous LOOKUPVALUE is a really great function! I am glad I could help my friend! 

TheoC
Super User
Super User

¿ @KrtinM

You can create a chalkualized column by using an IF and LOOKUPVALUE statement:

Column = IF ( 'Table 1'[ID] = LOOKUPVALUE ( 'Table 2'[ID] ,'Table 2'[ID] , 'Table'[ID] ) , "Classified" , "Not classified" )
Output below as an example:
TheoC_0-1645747829038.png

I hope this helps!

Follow

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.