Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cmc099
Frequent Visitor

Create extra columns showing hierarchies in Power Query

Hi there, I'm having an issue changing a table and adding columns to display the hierarchy of groups in PowerQuery. Below is an example of my data.

Group nameParent group nameGroup level
AllNULL1
DirectorsAll2
SalesAll2
Region_salesSales3
City_salesRegion_sales4

The Group name column shows the group name for a specific row, the Parent group name column shows the group name that is directly above the row's group, and the Group level shows the depth of the group in the company. 

What I want to do is create 4 extra columns that match the row's group name with all of the different parent groups and sub-groups, showing the levels they are at. So, for example, the above table would look like this:

Group nameParent group nameGroup levelLevel_1Level_2Level_3Level_4
AllNULL1AllNULLNULLNULL
DirectorsAll2AllDirectorsNULLNULL
SalesAll2AllSalesNULLNULL
Region_salesSales3AllSalesRegion_salesNULL
City_salesRegion_sales4AllSalesRegion_sales

City_sales

I'm finding it quite difficult to create these columns however, and another thing to consider, is that I want to automatically detect how many columns should be added based on the Group level. This way, if another subgroup was created making the maximum depth equal to 5, then 5 columns would be added to represent the 5 levels. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thank you. 

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cmc099 ,

Hope this helps.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcszJUdJR8gv18QFShkqxOtFKLplFqckl+UXFQBGItBFYPDgxJxVdLCg1PTM/L74YKgVTYgyWdM4sqYRLoak0UYqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Group name" = _t, #"Parent group name" = _t, #"Group level" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Group name", type text}, {"Parent group name", type text}, {"Group level", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Level", each List.Transform({List.Min(#"Changed Type"[Group level])..List.Max(#"Changed Type"[Group level])},each "Level_" &Text.From( _))),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Added Custom", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Expanded Level" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Index", "Level"),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Level", "Custom", each let 
a = Number.From(Text.Range([Level],Text.PositionOf([Level],"_")+1)),
b = 
if a = 1 then "All"
else if [Group level] < a then "NULL"
else if [Group level] = a then [Group name]
else if [Group level] - a = 2 then 
let 
c = [Parent group name] ,
d = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type",(x)=>x[Group name]=c)[Parent group name]{0}
in
d
else if [Group level] - a = 1 then [Parent group name]
else null 
in
b),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom1", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom1"[Level]), "Level", "Custom"),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{"Index"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

vcgaomsft_0-1678159362071.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.