Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LauraBueno
Helper III
Helper III

Create a new table from another another table in Direct Query mode

Hi Everyone,

I have a table that is stored in Power BI in Direct Query mode. I need to create another table from this one using the function ALL and selecting the columns I need from the table. The issue I have is that the new table is automatically created in Import mode and it is not possible to change its properties to Direct Query mode. Is there any way I could change this?

Thanks a lot in advance

thanks

Laura

4 REPLIES 4
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Direct Query is a connection mode (or method).  It's not a way of storing data.   You would use Direct Query if the data is massive and is not performant in Import mode.  All queries are sent to the data source (when creating or refreshing)

It sounds like you are using a composite model (a mix of Direct Query and Import  mode data) which is appropriate.  So if everything's working, carry on.

Hi @HotChilli ,

I am using Direct Query because the data is massive. The problem I have is taht when I create an extra table from one of the existing tables using the function ALL, this new table is created in Import Mode. I cannot have the table in import mode. So the question I have is how could I create this new table in direct query mode as well ?

"I cannot have the table in import mode" - why? Too large?

I think there is a misunderstanding about Direct Query here.

If you create the table in the source system(SQL Server or whatever) , you can connect to it in Direct Query mode from PowerBi.  You can't create a table in PowerBi and send it back to the source system.

hi @HotChilli ,

Thanks for your reply. I have all my data model in Direct Query Mode, but I created a disconnected table within Power Bi to use in some measures so that I could avoid having slicers affecting all the data etc - that is all working completely fine. The issue I have is that because I had to create this disconnected table, now my entire dashboard is refreshing as new data becomes available except for that one which is in import mode. So to solve that I have scheduled refreshes every 30 min - but that frequency is not enough so I'm looking for a way to fix this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.