Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raulpesch

Create a line chart from values in a row

This is probably a very elementary question which is easy to create in Excel but I have a hard time getting it to work in PowerBI.

I want to create line chart in PowerBI showing day-over-day growth by using [Date] as the axis and [Total Cases Growth] as the value.

Annotation 2020-03-28 232428.jpgWhen I drop the [Total Cases Growth] in the values field, I am forced to select a calculation (Sum, Average etc).

How do I get PowerBI the render the numbers as there are displayed in the [Total Cases Growth] column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raulpesch ,

If there are duplicate dates in the table, the values will be aggregated.

You can drag a column (the corresponding date is unique) to the legend field.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @raulpesch ,

If there are duplicate dates in the table, the values will be aggregated.

You can drag a column (the corresponding date is unique) to the legend field.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@raulpesch 

You need aggregated measure on the visuals how are you creating Daya or day %

When you are plotting by day

Change = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]))-  CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Day))
Change %= divide(CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount])) , CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Day))) -1

Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost any aggregation will do in this case (you can select sum or max or min or average) but... I'd think twice before implementing this design. Please watch this to get an idea how you should properly shape your data/model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78d6mwR8GtA&t=1247s

Best
D

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.