Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LaurensM02
Regular Visitor

Countrows in multiple column based on partial text value

Dear all,

For a project I need to be able to count the number of rows in a file, based on a text value in one of eight defined columns.

I want to count a row when one of the "Linked Issues" columns contains a text value that starts with "THGRW-".

I tried using the COUNTROWS function combined with FILTER for only one column, which looks like this:

Episode without SM =
    COUNTROWS(FILTER('Sheet1', 'Sheet1'[Linked Issues.1] >= "THGRW-000"))

For multiple columns I wanted to just sum (using the + operator) the countrows functions, but already this function for a single column does not give me a result.

The sheet looks something like this (Sheet1):

KeyLinked Issues.1Linked Issues.2Linked Issues.3Linked Issues.4Linked Issues.5Linked Issues.6Linked Issues.7

ICB-1

THGRW-123IDF-210     
ICB-2IPQ-11THGRW-10STR-22    
ICB-3 THGRW-55     
ICB-4   THGRW-55   
ICB-5     THGRW-191 
5 REPLIES 5
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @LaurensM02 ,

Your DAX won't work. That is because 

>= operator will work only with numbers. But you are using >= with a string value

i.e.

COUNTROWS(FILTER('Sheet1''Sheet1'[Linked Issues.1] >= "THGRW-000"))

In the above  DAX, THGRW-000 is a string and hence cannot be used with a >= operator

You will have to use a == operator or an IN operator to compare text and count. Then sum the different conditions.

If you want more focused answer, pls. share how your output should look.

I also tried the following formula, but this results in a blank result when added to a card visual. I don't know what's wrong.

LaurensM02_0-1697631897469.png

Hi Thejeswar,

Thanks for your quick response. I am using the measure for a card visual that shows the total number of rows that meet the filter conditions. So the output should eventually be a number.

Also I tried using a wildcard character in the text value, since the filter needs to count every row where one of the Linked Issues columns contain a value that starts with "THGRW-", but I could not get that working.

@LaurensM02 ,

You can convert your table to look like below using Unpivot Columns option in Power Query Editor

Refer below link

Unpivot Columns in Power BI 

Thejeswar_0-1697632711230.png

Post that you can use the below DAX to get the ouput that you were expecting. In this case there are 5 combinations having "THGRW" in them

Thejeswar_1-1697632804382.png

I have a strange problem before I want to start unpivotting columns. The following formula gives me the correct number of rows. But whenever I change it to [Linked Issues.2] or another number, the formula returns a blank.

LaurensM02_0-1697634914275.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.