Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlB
Super User
Super User

Copying data from PowerBI to a PowePoint chart (with format)

Dear all,

Is there a way to copy the date from a table created in Power BI, including format, directly to Excel or a chart in PowerPoint? Imagine we generate a very simple table like the following in Power BI:

Pic1.jpg

I would like to copy it directly and paste it in Excel with the same format. Or I might want to copy it into a PowerPoint clustered column chart. For that I need to keep the format of the table (in columns and rows) so that I can copy it directly into the data of the chart:  

Pic2.jpg

If I work directly in Excel and do the same as above with a pivot table:

Pic3.jpg

I can copy it directly into the data of a PowerPoint chart:

pic4.jpg

Can this be done with the table generated by Power BI? So far I’ve only been able to find the export option. This however dumps the data into a csv file but without the table format so I need to:

1. Use “Text to columns” to create the original data table (or load it through the query editor) in Excel
  2. Generate again (since I’d done it already in Power BI) the pivot table in Excel and finally copy it into the PowerPivot chart.

This is obviously much more time-consuming than just the just copy/paste needed when working in Excel.

Can the table data with format be copied from Power BI? How? Is there any way to make this operation easier?

Many thanks for your help

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AlB 

Based on my test, it's not able to achieve this in desktop currently. you might consider to raise it as an idea in the portal that brings the feature coming online:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@AlB 

Please refer the link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/consumer/end-user-powerpoint

https://blog.devscope.net/2018/06/14/embed-power-bi-reports-powerpoint/

If you have any queries, please let us know.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Hello @AlB 

What if you hook to the model using Analyze in Excel and build the visual from there?  You would only have to build in once in excel then you can refresh it against the model.

AnalyzeInExcel.jpg

Or, you could copy the page from the .pbix with the graph you are trying to export into a .pbix by itself then publish and from PowerBI.com export to PowerPoint.  

I only mention making a copy because it sounds like you don't want the entire report, just the one graph.

@jdbuchanan71  Thanks for your swift response.

I didn't specify it in the question but I am mostly looking for a solution for Power BI Desktop. Two questions:

1. Are both options you suggest only availbale in the Power BI service? I understand they are not available in Power BI Desktop?

2. The Analyze in Excel option is not available in the free version of the service, is it?

Many thanks    

1. I believe so.  I don't think you con do either if the report has not been published to the Power BI service.

2. You can use analyze in excel with just a pro license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.