Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

culytics

Converting Year to Date Value to Quarterly

I have a table in this format. With the values in black given and need to calculate values in purple. What is the best way to do it in PowerBI? The table has data for 4 years starting in 2017.

Year/QuarterNameYTD ValueCalculated Value
Q4-2018N134252
Q1-2018N1100100
Q2-2018N1205105
Q3-2018N129085

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @culytics ,

You can follow the below steps to get it:

1. Create a calculated column to get the index base on the field [Year/Quarter]

Index = RANKX('Sales',CONCATENATE(RIGHT('Sales'[Year/Quarter],4),LEFT('Sales'[Year/Quarter],2)),,ASC,Dense)​​

2. Create a measure to get the difference with current value and the value of previous quarter

Calculated Value = 
var _curindex=MAX('Sales'[Index])
var _preindex=CALCULATE(MAX('Sales'[Index]),FILTER(ALL('Sales'),'Sales'[Index]<_curindex))
var _curvalue=SUM('Sales'[YTD Value])
var _prevalue=CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[YTD Value]),FILTER(ALL('Sales'),'Sales'[Index]=_preindex))
return _curvalue -_prevalue

Converting Year to Date Value to Quarterly.JPG

Best Regards
Rena
Community Support Team _ Rena Ruan
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Write these 2 calculated column formulas

Year = =1*(RIGHT(Data[Year/Quarter],4))
=Data[YTD Value]-LOOKUPVALUE(Data[YTD Value],Data[Year/Quarter],CALCULATE(MAX(Data[Year/Quarter]),FILTER(Data,Data[Name]=EARLIER(Data[Name])&&Data[Year]=EARLIER(Data[Year])&&Data[Year/Quarter]<EARLIER(Data[Year/Quarter]))),Data[Name],Data[Name],Data[Year],Data[Year])

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @culytics ,

You can follow the below steps to get it:

1. Create a calculated column to get the index base on the field [Year/Quarter]

Index = RANKX('Sales',CONCATENATE(RIGHT('Sales'[Year/Quarter],4),LEFT('Sales'[Year/Quarter],2)),,ASC,Dense)​​

2. Create a measure to get the difference with current value and the value of previous quarter

Calculated Value = 
var _curindex=MAX('Sales'[Index])
var _preindex=CALCULATE(MAX('Sales'[Index]),FILTER(ALL('Sales'),'Sales'[Index]<_curindex))
var _curvalue=SUM('Sales'[YTD Value])
var _prevalue=CALCULATE(SUM('Sales'[YTD Value]),FILTER(ALL('Sales'),'Sales'[Index]=_preindex))
return _curvalue -_prevalue

Converting Year to Date Value to Quarterly.JPG

Best Regards
Rena
Community Support Team _ Rena Ruan
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi, could you help me what I should do if I have multiple names like N1, N2, etc. I think I am making a mistake when indexing.

Another question is what should I do if I have 0 for Q2 and larger values for Q1 and Q3. In this case the above code gives me a negative value.

Thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@culytics , if new columns, have these three

qtr year = right([Year/Quarter],4) & left([Year/Quarter],2)
qtr year rank = rankx(all(Table), [qtr year], , asc, sense)

diff with last qtr = [Value] - sumx(filter(Table, [qtr year rank] =earlier([qtr year rank])-1),[Value])

If you need rank, create a new table for qtr year Say Date and have this rank column there and try measure like

column

qtr year = right([Year/Quarter],4) & left([Year/Quarter],2)

Qtr Rank = RANKX(all('Date'),'Date'[qtr year],,ASC,Dense)

measure
This Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])))
Last Qtr = CALCULATE(sum('order'[Qty]), FILTER(ALL('Date'),'Date'[Qtr Rank]=max('Date'[Qtr Rank])-1))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Please provide your feedback comments and advice for new videos
Tutorial Series Dax Vs SQL Direct Query PBI Tips
Appreciate your Kudos.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

what is the calculated value in purple? you need to give more of an an explanation, it doesn't make sense currently with what you have provided.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.