Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

atult
Advocate I
Advocate I

Convert from MMM-YY Format in CSV to DD-MM-YYYY Format in Power BI

I have my date column as MMM-YY(Example: JUN-19) in csv file. I want to take it as DD-MM-YYYY(Example: 01-06-2019) format in Power BI.

The date is taken as text column when imported. When I convert the datatype to Date, it takes the YY-DD-CurrentYYYY(Example: 19-06-2021) format which is incorrect.

In CSVWhen DT changed to Date in PBIExpected Output
Jun-1919-06-202101-06-2021
Jul-1919-07-202101-07-2021
Aug-1919-08-202101-08-2021
Sep-1919-09-202101-09-2021

Image Representation of requirement:

Capture.PNG

Note: Changing the format to long date in CSV file is resolving issue but I do not want to change things at CSV file end since it will be a manual effort every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ERD
Super User
Super User

Hi @atult ,

You can create another column and use the next code:

1. Add Column - Custom Column

2. Type = Date.From("01-" & [In CSV])

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Date.From("01-" & [In CSV]))

ERD_1-1622464750297.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution ✔️to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your Kudos.

Check out my latest demo report in the data story gallery.

Stand with Ukraine!

Here are official ways you can support Ukraine financially (accounts with multiple currencies):
1) Support the Armed Forces of Ukraine: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/about/support-the-armed-forces
2) Come Back Alive foundation: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Thank you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ERD
Super User
Super User

Hi @atult ,

You can create another column and use the next code:

1. Add Column - Custom Column

2. Type = Date.From("01-" & [In CSV])

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each Date.From("01-" & [In CSV]))

ERD_1-1622464750297.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution ✔️to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your Kudos.

Check out my latest demo report in the data story gallery.

Stand with Ukraine!

Here are official ways you can support Ukraine financially (accounts with multiple currencies):
1) Support the Armed Forces of Ukraine: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/about/support-the-armed-forces
2) Come Back Alive foundation: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Thank you!

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @atult ,

usually the DATE.FROM function in Power Query should be able to handle that.

Check the following query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8irN0zW0VNJRMrTUNTDTNTIwMgRyDAzhnFgdkKIchCJzZEXmCEWOpekIRRbIiiwQioJTCxCKLJEVQTmxsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"n CSV" = _t, #"When DT changed to Date in PBI" = _t, #"Expected Output" = _t]),
    #"Inserted Date" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Date", each Date.From([n CSV]), type date)
in
    #"Inserted Date"

Let me know if that works for you.

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hi @selimovd ,

This is not working.

As I said, when the Date(MMM-YY) is converted to date datatype, it is giving me incorrect date as I shown in the table in my initial query.

Hence, even with DATE.FROM function, I'm getting "19-06-2021" instead of "01-06-2021" for "JUN-19".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @atult 

Can you try using the format option available in the data view and change to desired format by typing it in the date format drop down list.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.