Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DrPolymath

Convert folder files from csv then create a new hard table to be used instead.

I have a large dataset from multiple csv files in a folder, I use source from folder and combine them. However everytime I apply new steps it keeps rebuilding the data to a point I get a stack overflow error.
However when I copied the combined csv files and used it as a source instead I did NOT get that stack overflow in the same steps applied to the first query.

So, how can I combine the csv files from folder then create a new hard table from it and use that instead as the source to a new query?

to iterate, I don't want to "Duplicate" or "Reference" as it leads to the same stack overflow error. Does powerquery have such an option?

3 REPLIES 3
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @DrPolymath ,

If you want the output of multiple csv files via the folder connector, you need to load the query into the model first and use tools like DAX studio to extract the combined data into another csv file. If the number of rows is not over Excel's limit, you can just copy the table and paste it into Excel.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thanks for the reply, but I was wondering if it can be involved in powerquery so the whole thing will be automated.

The only way to involve power query without having to export the result is by duplicating or referencing a query which is not what you desire.

Alternatively, you can create a dataflow for cloud sources. The result of a dataflow is similar is what you have loaded into the model and will not refresh until you refresh the dataflow itself. Dataflow uses Power Query so the interface should be familiar with you except that it is created in a pro workspace in the service.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.