Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yamshay
Frequent Visitor

Connection to Azure DevOps Error

When trying to connect to Azure DevOps, I am receiving an "Access to the resource is forbidden" error. I am an Administrator for the Team Project I am attempting to connect to. I also checked with another administrator for this Team Project and on a screen share, was able to see them successfully connect to the project using the same connection strings I am using. 

I have checked Microsoft documentation on this issue and the only suggestion I've seen is to ensure that "View Analytics" is enabled within my DevOps permissions and I have verified that is enabled. I'm not sure what else I can do. I have cleared my Power BI desktop credentials/permissions cache multiple times and I've deleted the connection within my global permissions multiple times as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Yamshay
Frequent Visitor

Reading more about this, it seems it could be due to a Stakeholder/Basic access level difference? I am not sure how to check my account's access level to see.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
akashc234

Changing the access level of the user from stakeholder to Basic seems to work for me. Try this if other options fail. 

Guide to change the access level : Change user access from Stakeholder to Basic | Azure DevOps (azuredevopsguide.com)

Yamshay
Frequent Visitor

Reading more about this, it seems it could be due to a Stakeholder/Basic access level difference? I am not sure how to check my account's access level to see.

To anyone that might stumble onto this thread, this was the issue. Even though I was admin in the group, I needed the basic license type, rather than stakeholder.

sevenhills
Super User
Super User

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/powerbi/analytics-security?view=azure-devops&ta... 

Can you verify this on your project settings?

sevenhills_0-1652119523672.png

Similary, these settings are available at this place too...

Analytical views > Your views or Shared views > "..." > Security > "Permissions for [Analytical View Name]" 

Type in your name and you will be seeing the permissions, same like above ... 
Allow (inherited) 

Delete shared Analytics views
Edit shared Analytics views
View shared Analytics views

@sevenhills Yes. Screenshot below:

Yamshay_0-1652119733056.png

I think it should work for you ...

Steps we checked to troublshoot and mentioned to you:

Access to the resource is forbidden.

The link talks about it: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/powerbi/data-connector-connect?view=azure-devop...

and then ask you to check this article

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/powerbi/analytics-security?view=azure-devops&ta...

and based on it, you have access.

For troubleshooting further,

Can we create a dummy test view that is only shared to you. i.e., create an analytic view for your self?

sevenhills_0-1652122010195.png

and can create a view of modified items in the past 10 days or so, and you can do verification step also ... 

Next is try to connect using this view from Power BI Desktop?

If not, do you have any sandbox or other laptop, where you can try and connect with your user id?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.