Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kressb
Helper V
Helper V

Connecting to Date Dimension when data is by Year

I use a DateDimension and a Key to harness all the different tables/data in my builds. 

Sometimes I have a data table where the information is for the year instead of individual dates, ex: a budget

UniqueIDSiteNumber1CalendarYear
1North$30,0002021
2South$15,0002021
3East$47,0002021

Whenever I try to link this to the DateDimension, I'll get an inactive Many to One relationship.

What is the proper way to treat data like this so that you can get active relationships?

If there is a link someone would be willing to provide I will go and read and figure it out. I just can't find the answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

In my opinion, there are three ways to solve this.

There are some pros and cons, but without knowing your whole data model, it is hard to say which one is the best.

1. MMR: many to many relationship (filter direction is from dates table to budget table) -> only the case your visualizations are filtered by year level, otherwise some of the measures will generate unreasonable numbers.

2. create a bridge table (year table), and create a physical relationship between yeartable-datestable & yeartable-budgettable

2. use TREATAS function in a measure to create a virtual relationship

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

In my opinion, there are three ways to solve this.

There are some pros and cons, but without knowing your whole data model, it is hard to say which one is the best.

1. MMR: many to many relationship (filter direction is from dates table to budget table) -> only the case your visualizations are filtered by year level, otherwise some of the measures will generate unreasonable numbers.

2. create a bridge table (year table), and create a physical relationship between yeartable-datestable & yeartable-budgettable

2. use TREATAS function in a measure to create a virtual relationship

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.