Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting production teams to shifts

I work at a plant where they operate in 3 shifts :

Day: 7:00-15:00

Evening: 15:00-23:00

Night: 23:00-7:00

I have a shiftname column in my table.

I need to connect the shifts with 3 production teams:

This week(16):

Day: Blue team

Evening: Red team

Night: Green team

Next week(17): 

Day: Red team

Evening: Green team

Night: Blue team

You get the point, they cycle each 3 weeks 1 shift ealier.

The teams need to be connect to the shifts and cycle every week. But the hard part is that the cycle of teams don't reset at the start of a new year, it need to be continuous. So every team has 16,67 times a day shift in a year.

Can somebody help me with connecting the shifts to a new team column where the teams are connected the way I described above? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Even though the week commencing column was set to a date type it was still storing it as a datetime and keeping the time part, so there were multiple rows being returned for the same date.

Change the definition of 'bi v_shift'[W/C] to

W / C = DATEVALUE(
	[dateTimeNearestHour] - WEEKDAY( [dateTimeNearestHour], 2 )
)

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, now I need to make a slicer where you can select the teams but I will figure that out! And setup the teams on the rigt week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What's you e-mail? I will wetransfer. 

Even though the week commencing column was set to a date type it was still storing it as a datetime and keeping the time part, so there were multiple rows being returned for the same date.

Change the definition of 'bi v_shift'[W/C] to

W / C = DATEVALUE(
	[dateTimeNearestHour] - WEEKDAY( [dateTimeNearestHour], 2 )
)

Private message me

johnt75
Super User
Super User

You might want to rethink your model, as with that structure you will struggle with any time intelligence functions like year to date or comparing a period with the same period last year. For those functions to work they need a properly formatted date table which has one row per day for every day in the years you are concerned about. In your screenshot you have multiple entries for the same day, which is not ideal. There are plenty of articles and videos about setting up a date table.

You could add a W / C column to your existing table with

W / C =
[dateTimeNearestHour] - WEEKDAY ( [dateTimeNearestHour], 2 )

Make sure to set the format to date so that it removes the time part.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that the layout isn't optimal, the sql is setup by an external and is connected to an app. I need to reformat everything soon but for now I will hold on to this format because the dashboards work now.

Did it, got this now. Only the current W/C is missing.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 113217.png

that should be 'bi shift'[w/c]

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting real close now!😎  Almost fixed one of my biggest powerBI problems.

The only problem is that the teams are not all Green at day this week and all Red in the evening. Is there a solution to this? 

Mapping table:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 115327.png

W/C shift table:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 115209.png

  

the w/c column needs to be a date, not a datetime. That way there will only be 1 value for a given week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes no sense, still the same as the picture, do I need to change the dateTimeNearestHour in the quarry to date? That's where the W/C is based on.

No, the dateTimeNearestHour doesn't need changing, just the week commencing column. All of the entries which cover a given week should have the same week commencing value, with just a date and no time attached to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Like this, right? Still not working.

Screenshot 2023-04-18 122657.png

What does the team table look like ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Team table.png

That looks fine. Is the week commencing column on the shift table also a date, or is that a datetime? It needs to be a date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a date.

Can you create a PBIX that you can share? It only needs the shift table, the team table and the calculated weekly shifts table, so there shouldn't be any confidential info. You won't be able to attach a file but you could share it through OneDrive or Google drive, or a file transfer service.

Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Sure, I can help with that. Here's a possible solution for connecting the shifts to the corresponding production teams based on your description:

1. Create a table with the production teams and their corresponding colors:

Production Team Color

BlueBlue
RedRed
GreenGreen
  1. Create a calculated column in your existing table with the following formula:
    Team =
    VAR ShiftStart = TIME(HOUR([ShiftName]),0,0)
    VAR ShiftEnd = ShiftStart + TIME(8,0,0) // assuming 8-hour shifts
    VAR ShiftDateTime = DATEADD([Date],ShiftStart) // assuming the date is in a separate column
    VAR ShiftNumber = INT(([ShiftDateTime] - DATE(2023,1,1))/7) + 1 // assuming the year starts on January 1st and the first week is week 1
    VAR CycleNumber = MOD(ShiftNumber - 1,3) + 1
    VAR TeamName =
    SWITCH(CycleNumber,
    1, "Blue",
    2, "Red",

This formula calculates the start and end times of the shift based on the hour of the ShiftName column. It then converts the date and time to a single datetime value, calculates the week number based on the number of days since January 1st of the current year, and calculates the cycle number as the remainder of the week number divided by 3. Finally, it uses a SWITCH statement to assign the appropriate team name based on the cycle number.

1. Use the new Team column in your Pie chart to show the production teams by department sales.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ain't working at all. I think that making a 2nd table next to the index is the solution. See johnt reaction. If I get the measure right it should be working properly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I added the base(index) table and made a 2nd table. As a beginner I'm not the best in creating startdates or week commencing dates. This are some of the dates in my shift table, how can I convert this to the WC dates? Or maybe someone knows how to make the correct measure for me. That would be very helpfull because I only need to set this up once. Thanks in advance!

Calculated table:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 091140.png

Shift table:

Screenshot 2023-04-18 090615.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.