Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting data tables to link cost

Hi,

I have this very simple problem. I want to make a graph that has my systems as the axis and then the cost as values. However, the information comes from two different sheets:

ID sheet:

ID_Sheet.png

System sheet: 

System_sheet.png

I have a one to many relationship:

Relationship.png

But my graph ends up looking like this:

Graph.png

What do I do wrong? I don't think that it should be necessary to lookup the cost from the ID sheet to each row of the system sheet in DAX.

Br. Trond

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, you can use the related function in the measure. The RELATED function requires that a relationship exists between the current table and the table with related information. You specify the column that contains the data that you want, and the function follows an existing many-to-one relationship to fetch the value from the specified column in the related table. If a relationship does not exist, you must create a relationship. for more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/related-function-dax

And, you can also build a bidirectional relationship between ID table and system table without using new meaure:

Capture3.PNG

It will work too:

Capture5.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, you can use the related function in the measure. The RELATED function requires that a relationship exists between the current table and the table with related information. You specify the column that contains the data that you want, and the function follows an existing many-to-one relationship to fetch the value from the specified column in the related table. If a relationship does not exist, you must create a relationship. for more details, please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/related-function-dax

And, you can also build a bidirectional relationship between ID table and system table without using new meaure:

Capture3.PNG

It will work too:

Capture5.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak and @AlB ,

The new measure worked. However, I'm in doubt of what the right thing to do is? Should I rearrange the tables or use the quick measure and why?

Br. Trond 

@Anonymous , to me the model seems correct. When you want to use one side table and realtion is single direction , related can help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say related can help, do you mean the new measure? 

Br. Trond 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Try if this can work, a new measure

sumx(system, related(id[cost]))

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Filters won't propagate from the many to the 1 side in a unidirectional relationship by default. You could build a measure that uses RELATED to retrieve the cost from the ID table. But it'd be best if you reorganize the data model. Ideally you'd have something from a dimension table in the x-axis of the chart.

Please always show your sample data in text-tabular format in addition to (or instead of) the screen captures. A screen cap doesn't allow people to readily copy the data and run a quick test and thus decreases the likelihood of your question being answered. Just use 'Copy table' in Power BI and paste it here. Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data).

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.