Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RRSSDW
Helper I
Helper I

Connect two tables in a view without relationship

Hi community. Do you know if/how can I do this? I have two tables that are part of different pieces in the data model. They do not have a relationship in place. The two tables have a common column. I would show the two tables in a visual with ability to click in a row of a table and automatically show filtered data in the other table, on the basis of the value in the common column, just like when a relationship is in place. I know that I can achieve it by copying one of the two tables, estabilish a relationship with copied table and use the copied table in the visual. However, I am looking at a different option to stay lower in size. I am fine in case we can have this functionality from a table versus the other one and not vice versa. For instance: clicking in the 1st table we populate a hidden container with the value of that column; dynamically, the 2nd table get filtered on it; the 2nd table shows all rows when no selection is in place

Thanks    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RRSSDW ,

Please try to merge these two table with the common column to a new table, then use the new table to visualize.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RRSSDW ,

Please try to merge these two table with the common column to a new table, then use the new table to visualize.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

RRSSDW
Helper I
Helper I

I understand the need to have useable data rather than screenshots. My question is quite generic and stays at general knowledge level DAX to visuals. Sample data would be like this picture. passing via text, but not sure it works and not sure it adds value

Table1
Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4
aaa x1 zzz xx
bbb x2 zzz xx
ccc x3 zzz xx
ddd x4 zzz xx
eee x5 zzz xx
fff x6 zzz xx

Table2
Column1 Column5 Column6 Column7
aaa y1 b1 sd
aaa y2 b2 sd
aaa y3 b3 sd
fff y4 b4 sd
fff y5 b5 sd
fff y6 b6 sd

RRSSDW_0-1699085253656.png

Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @RRSSDW 

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.