Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jocelyn
Helper I
Helper I

Connect to sql

Hi team, 

I have one Power bi file currently  connected to afew sources (live connection with salesforce, & some connect to sharepoint). 

I would like to add one sql source to link to the data model that i currently have. However, when i select get data > SQL Server Analysis Services database, i am not given a choice to connect " Direct Query"  or" Connect live", may i know what's wrong here? why am i only get to choose import?

Jocelyn_0-1635749885504.png

Thanks in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Jocelyn 

You seem to be trying to create a composite model mentioned in this thread Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) 

If so, you need to be aware that using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services requires your report to have a local model. So when you can start from a live connection you need add or upgrade to a local model. You can also start with a DirectQuery connection or imported data, which automatically creates a local model in your report, but currently SSAS can't be using as directquery source.
considerations-and-limitations 

148.png

In fact, live Connection is only supporting one source for the connection. If you want to have more than one source for this connection, then you need to bring them all into the live connection datasource model rather than in PowerBI. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Jocelyn , is there anything already added to this file ?

If yes, in the new file try first start with Analysis service and then try to add other content , then it should give option to convert to direct query

Hi, 

Even if i start first with the Sql connection , after connected to the sql, it doesnt allow me to connect to other datasource already. May i know do you have other solution for this? Thanks!

Jocelyn_0-1635752403916.png

Hi, @Jocelyn 

You seem to be trying to create a composite model mentioned in this thread Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) 

If so, you need to be aware that using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services requires your report to have a local model. So when you can start from a live connection you need add or upgrade to a local model. You can also start with a DirectQuery connection or imported data, which automatically creates a local model in your report, but currently SSAS can't be using as directquery source.
considerations-and-limitations 

148.png

In fact, live Connection is only supporting one source for the connection. If you want to have more than one source for this connection, then you need to bring them all into the live connection datasource model rather than in PowerBI. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Yes, i currently have other thing connected with other datasource mentioned above. Couldnt it continue from there? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.