Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

Connect to XML Forms Libraries with Site Content Types

I am trying to report on data from various XML Form Libraries on SharePoint Online. These libraries utilise a site content type. There are about 12 libraries in total.

In Power BI Desktop I'm attempting to create an OData connections to each library, however the columns that are available to me are very limited. I can choose columns that are native to the XML Forms Library, but I can't utilise any of the columns that come from the site content type utilised in this library.

For example the below feed works successfully with limited columns:

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/teams/site/subsite/_api/Web/lists/getbytitle('Current Applications')/items?$select=ID,Modified,Application_x0020_Status1,Title

But if I added a column that comes from the site content type, for example Description, this column fails to appear in my data source (although no error occurs)

I have tried other ways to obtain the data, but I'm limited because I'm connecting to XML Form Libraries which Power BI doesn't support, and the libraries contain many lookup columns which means other methods fail due to the lookup threshold.

How can I include columns from both the XML forms library, and from the site content types, into the same data source in Power BI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK I'm not sure what my initial problem was - but it now works. I'm guessing i missed a capital letter or didn't use the correct code for a hyphen or similar character. Either way, whether connecting to a site content type column or a forms library column - OData can connect to them both.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @PetyrBaelish

You can try to use other data source to transit data from XML Form Libraries, If it is not your case, you may submit a support ticket(https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/) to help identify and solve your issue.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

OK I'm not sure what my initial problem was - but it now works. I'm guessing i missed a capital letter or didn't use the correct code for a hyphen or similar character. Either way, whether connecting to a site content type column or a forms library column - OData can connect to them both.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.