Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rbrock
Frequent Visitor

Conditional Formatting Not Working for New Records

Conditional formatting is being very buggy. I have a table with a text field that uses conditional formatting based on a rule and a numerical field. 

Capture3.PNG

The first issue came when I published to PowerBI.com. The conditional formatting was gone and all fields appeared white. I was able to fix this by editing the report in Power BI.com, opening the conditional formatting rule and closing it and that seemed to kick the formatting in. 

Now, I have added two new rows to the database table that is the source for my report. I am using direct query. When I refresh the data, the new rows do not have conditional formatting while the other rows still do. 

Capture.PNG

If I pull the column the formatting is based on into my table, suddenly all rows have the proper formatting. But if I remove that column, the two new rows appear white again. This is making me crazy!

Capture2.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Ordevya

@rbrock a few years late but...did you ever find a solution to this issue? I'm facing the exact same problem: 

- Conditional formatting is based on an ID field. Such an ID exists for every row in the dataset.

- All IDs appear in the table visual until I start adding measures.

- Once I add measures, only rows with a value for at least one measure remain. 

- When I click on 'Shows items with no data' in the table, all IDs are back to appearing. However, certain IDs are not formatted despite meeting the criteria...which once again is based on the ID field and not measures.

- When I add 'Measure = 1' to the table, all of the IDs appear and are conditionally formatted. 

- Similarly, if I do not add 'Measure = 1' to the table, but rather switch the ID to 'First' instead of 'Don't Summarize', all IDs appear and are conditionally formatted. 

I would like to understand why this is happening

@Ordevya @rbrock Chiming in from 2024 with the exact same problem--conditional formatting doesn't work when the value for measure (unrelated to the conditional formatting rules) is blank. Did either of you find a solution?

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rbrock ,

The latest version of Power BI Desktop seems to work for me. You may also try Color formatting by field value.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
rbrock
Frequent Visitor

Update: I have some dollar value fields in the table that are blank and set to summarize using the sum function. When I added values into those fields, the formatting worked. This is strange though since the formatting is in no way based on those fields. When I set those dollar value fields to all be do not summarize the conditional formatting worked. 

This is fine for my purposes but it does not seem like it should work this way. Am I doing something wrong?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.