Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comparing periodic reports

I download an inventory forecast report in excel every week.  The intention is to see if stock is increasing, decreasing, how much is being held up in safety stocks, etc.  The excels are all identically named except for the data which i also include in the filename (for example: AllSites_AllMaterials_2020-02.25.xlsx).

The data has a format similar to the table below.  Each table is ~500K lines long.

Material PlantMonthAvailable stock (qty)Available stock (val)Safety Stock (qty)Safety Stock (val)Total stock (qty)Total stock (val)
Mat Asite 1jan.2055055010100
Mat Asite 1feb.201010055015150
Mat Asite 1mar.20110550660
Mat Bsite 1jan.20210,7200210,72
Mat Bsite 1feb.20210,7200210,72
Mat Bsite 1mar.20210,7200210,72
Mat Csite 1jan.2043619545
Mat Csite 1feb.2065419763
Mat Csite 1mar.2087219981

I would typically use a Pivot Chart to display the data:

2020-03-02 08_57_06-Book1 - Excel.gif

I want to be able to historically compare the reports to see how actions we take in the business are changing the inventory forecasts, and generate trends from the data.  So at the moment i have 2 dimensional data of value x month, but would like to add a 3rd dimension which shows how that forecast/data changed over time.

How do i load the periodic excel data and get power BI to compare the "snapshots"? 

Is there a way that Power BI automatically sees that all imported data files are in the same format/structure, links the data together, and allows me to show the data over a time series?  Or do i have to do some sorcery to append all the data sets together in 1 sheet with a new column that somehow represents the filename/date the data was taken?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

If you want to combine two excel into the same, I think you need to make sure two excels' data strcture and data type are the same, then when you combine, it shoud work. For combine, you could refer to above links.

Or if the excel files are different(like fact table, date table), you could import excel files in it, then create relationship between them based on key column and create measure.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Additionally, you should also convert the text date into a proper date.  Then build a Calendar Table and create a relationship from the Date column of the Data Table to the Date column of the Calendar Table.  To your visual, you should drag the Date column from the Calendar Table.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Additionally, you should also convert the text date into a proper date.  Then build a Calendar Table and create a relationship from the Date column of the Data Table to the Date column of the Calendar Table.  To your visual, you should drag the Date column from the Calendar Table.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

If you want to combine two excel into the same, I think you need to make sure two excels' data strcture and data type are the same, then when you combine, it shoud work. For combine, you could refer to above links.

Or if the excel files are different(like fact table, date table), you could import excel files in it, then create relationship between them based on key column and create measure.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.