Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

markworks
Regular Visitor

Compare two tables to get match and unmatching values

Hello! I am relatively new to Power BI. I might be overcomplicating things with this tool. 

My data comes from excel, and I want to know if it's possible to compare my source data (an extract from a work tool), versus what we should have (second table). Basically, I want to know if a certain resource has done or not a course, and it occurs to me doing that by comparing. 

Source data is as follows: 

NameBoardCourse
Mark MooreLeadership 101The challenges of being a leader
Aaron BulagaThe Digital EraBecoming Digital

The data that we should have is the following: 

BoardCourse
Leadership 101The challenges of being a leader
Leadership 101Leading with example
The Digital EraBecoming Digital
The Digital EraDigital Age

Is there a simple way to compare two tables and bring the differences in power bi? 

Note: my source data is actually around 15000 lines, this is just a quick sample. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @markworks ,

I am not sure whether you want to bring in non-matching rows or or only row with a match. Either way, this can be done in Power query but may take several steps dpending on the the desired result. I've attached a sample PBIX. Go to Home then Transform Data to inspect the steps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-bD13Hz82V1ulv-AJhlcSRYGhBorwM0I/view?usp=sharing 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @markworks ,

I am not sure whether you want to bring in non-matching rows or or only row with a match. Either way, this can be done in Power query but may take several steps dpending on the the desired result. I've attached a sample PBIX. Go to Home then Transform Data to inspect the steps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-bD13Hz82V1ulv-AJhlcSRYGhBorwM0I/view?usp=sharing 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.