Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbraga
Frequent Visitor

Compare 2 different dates dynamically

Hello everyone, 

I have just started using power BI a few weeks ago and am running onto this very basic issue. 

I have tried researching for this question in the forums but could not find an answer for this specific question. 

I have a sales table and want to compare the sum of sales for 2 different dates by category with a matrix. I want to have 2 slicers, 1 for each date. 

Slicers (Dropdown)
| DATE 1 |    &   | DATE 2 |

After the user has selected the two dates, the matrix will show the sales for the 2 dates by category. 

|                 | Date 1 | Date 2 | Difference |

| Type 1     | 123       | 125     |  2              |

| Type 2     | 50         | 25       |  -25          |

I know that this can be done using the calculate function, but I cannot get the title of the Date 1 and date 2 to change dynamically neither to get the user to select the data. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rbraga ,

Unfortunately power bi desktop does not support two slicers filtering a matrix visual object together. You can create a date slicer that selects two dates and presents date 1 and date 2 as card visual objects.

We can create a date table.

date = CALENDAR(DATE(2023,3,1),DATE(2023,4,6))

vtangjiemsft_1-1693820495461.png

We can create measures.

Difference = 
var _a=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[date]=MINX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date]) && 'Table'[type]=MAX('Table'[type])))
var _b=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[date]=MAXX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date]) && 'Table'[type]=MAX('Table'[type])))
var _c=MINX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date])
return IF(MAX('Table'[date])=_c,BLANK(),_b-_a)
date1 = MINX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date])
date2 = MAXX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date]) 

vtangjiemsft_2-1693820524313.png

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may  vote the idea and comment here to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rbraga ,

Unfortunately power bi desktop does not support two slicers filtering a matrix visual object together. You can create a date slicer that selects two dates and presents date 1 and date 2 as card visual objects.

We can create a date table.

date = CALENDAR(DATE(2023,3,1),DATE(2023,4,6))

vtangjiemsft_1-1693820495461.png

We can create measures.

Difference = 
var _a=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[date]=MINX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date]) && 'Table'[type]=MAX('Table'[type])))
var _b=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[sales]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Table'),'Table'[date]=MAXX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date]) && 'Table'[type]=MAX('Table'[type])))
var _c=MINX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date])
return IF(MAX('Table'[date])=_c,BLANK(),_b-_a)
date1 = MINX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date])
date2 = MAXX(ALLSELECTED('date'),'date'[Date]) 

vtangjiemsft_2-1693820524313.png

If you would like to suggest  feature improvements, you may  vote the idea and comment here to improve this feature. It is a place for customers provide feedback about Microsoft Office products . What’s more, if a feedback is high voted there by other customers, it will be promising that Microsoft Product Team will take it into consideration when designing the next version in the future.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@rbraga I don't think dynamically changing the column header is possible for it to actually show you the chosen dates but would have to see if there is a tricky way of doing it. In general, you would want to use disconnected date tables for your 2 slicers or at least one of them should be disconnected. Then you would use a lookup to display your values using either LOOKUPVALUE or MAXX( FILTER( ... ), ... ).

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the fast response! What do you mean when you say to use the LOOKUPVALUE or MAXX( FILTER( ... ), ... ) functions? 

I have tried readapting this solution (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjeisHA6FU) to my problem but I don't have the expertise yet in DAX to make it work:

New total sales =
VAR _Sales = Calculate([total sales]),
	DimDate[year] = SELECTEDVALUE(‘year in use[year]))
RETURN
	IF(
		SELECTEDVALUE(‘year in use’[year] IN {MAX(dimDate[year]), MAX(dimDate[year])-1}
		_Sales,BLANK()
	     )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.