Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thenovice
Frequent Visitor

Column that calculates months left in contract starting today

Hi all,

On Power BI, i would like to create a column which shows the amount of months left until the end date, starting today. I want it to also show 0 if the End Date has already passed. For example if the end date in the column says 12/31/2018 the column would return with 2. If the end date said 9/12/2018 then the column would return a 0. I tried doing the following column below.

Column = (DATEDIFF('Table'[END_DATE],'Table'[Date],MONTH)) 

This however is returning me the time in months between today and the end date and is coming out as a negative number for months left. 

Capture.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@thenovice Please try below expression...

MonthsLeft = IF(DatesTest[EndDate]<FORMAT(TODAY(),"dd/mm/yyyy"),0,DATEDIFF(FORMAT(TODAY(),"dd/mm/yyyy"),DatesTest[EndDate],MONTH))

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

I have tried this expression, but it is coming out as red for "mm/dd/yyyy" and an error message saying "DAX comparison operations  do not support comparing values of type Date with values of type Text. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values." 

@thenovice Could you please post the DAX expression you are using...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Let me know if something is wrong with that,

Thank you so much

Column = IF('TABLE'[END_DATE]<FORMAT(TODAY(),"dd/mm/yyyy"),0,DATEDIFF(FORMAT(TODAY(),"dd/mm/yyyy"),'TABLE'[END_DATE],MONTH))

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.