Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bdahlstrom
Regular Visitor

Column ref. to 'ColumnX' in table 'XX' can't be used with a variation 'Date' bc it doesn't have any

I'm receiving the following error:

Column reference to 'Business Date' in table 'Day Key' cannot be used with a variation 'Date' because it does not have any. Column reference to 'Business Date' in table 'Day Key' cannot be used with a variation 'Date' because it does not have any. Column reference to 'Business Date' in table 'Day Key' cannot be used with a variation 'Date' because it does not have any. Column reference to 'OPEN DATE' in table 'Cost Center' cannot be used with a variation 'Date' because it does not have any. Column reference to 'OPEN DATE' in table 'Cost Center' cannot be used with a variation 'Date' because it does not have any. Column reference to 'OPEN DATE' in table 'Cost Center' cannot be used with a variation 'Date' because it does not have any.

Both columns referenced are 'Date' types in power query and do not error out when I open in power query. Auto/Date time is turned off. The 'Business Date' does have a relationship with a seperate date column but the relationship appears to be working appropriately. These sources haven't been changed in months and has only been an issue since I updated to the latest version of desktop.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bdahlstrom
Regular Visitor

Want to document how I corrected this issue. There were relationship errors unrelated to the stated column reference errors.

Turn on Auto Date Time, Refresh, correct stated errors unrelated to day key or cost center, Turn off Auto Date Time, refreshes as normal. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bdahlstrom
Regular Visitor

Want to document how I corrected this issue. There were relationship errors unrelated to the stated column reference errors.

Turn on Auto Date Time, Refresh, correct stated errors unrelated to day key or cost center, Turn off Auto Date Time, refreshes as normal. 

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

OK, I think you need to look elsewhere.  Are there calculated columns in your model? Maybe in a date table.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

The only times i know this error shows up is when 'Auto date time' is off but something somewhere is using references to , for example .[Date], .[Month]

Can you narrow down where the error is coming from, is it 2 calculated columns or measure?

They are both imported colums with type 'Date'. Auto date time slows the functionality way down and it hasn't been an issue until I tried refreshing today. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.