Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

e9801591
Helper I
Helper I

Column appearing as null when the source file is closed.

I am combining several excel files from a folder. The problem happens is that one colmn which contains unique ID of the record shows up as null when the source files are closed.

The only way that the data shows up is when i literally open all source files (which is not practcal because I have a lot!) and Refresh preview in Power Query Editor. The files need to be kept open for the actual values not to show up as null.

I hope someone can help me since I really don't know how to address the issue.

Thank you!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you for the quic reply. Here is the file .

It's a work in progress as I am still learning so this will still be definitely cleaned up and optimized 😅.

The column 'dealer id' becomes blank in in queries 2, 3, 6, 7 and Dealer Base. 

Appreciate the help.

View solution in original post

Was able to to find the issue. My Excle source file version is 1997-2003 .xls. I converted the file to a newer version .xlsx and problem solved.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there - 

Could you share the sample PowerBI file you have for this please? I think I may have a solution for this, but wanted to check your file before I can comment.

Regards

E

Thank you for the quic reply. Here is the file .

It's a work in progress as I am still learning so this will still be definitely cleaned up and optimized 😅.

The column 'dealer id' becomes blank in in queries 2, 3, 6, 7 and Dealer Base. 

Appreciate the help.

Maybe just to simplify the issue. Tried connecting to just one source file. This file has 3 columns, ID, name, and amount. When i load the data, the column "ID" disappears. If i open the source file and refresh, only then will the column ID appear. In short, column values become null when the source file is closed and only appears after refresh when i keep the file open.

Was able to to find the issue. My Excle source file version is 1997-2003 .xls. I converted the file to a newer version .xlsx and problem solved.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.