Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tobiask
Helper I
Helper I

Clustered column chart - Space between columns and measure names in Axis

Hey, 
I want to create a column chart with eight different measures, that show the percentage value of market awareness of different brands. 
Two questions: 

1. Why do the columns stick together and are so narrow? I am not able to change that in the format section.
  2. How can I add all the brand names (name of the measures) on the axis, so they appear direct below the correct columns?

I am greatful for all hints and tipps.

Thank you,

Tobias

This is how it looks right now:

Brand awareness.jpg

This is how I would like it to be visualized regarding columns positioning and naming:
Brand awareness_result.png

6 REPLIES 6
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@tobiask is there a reason you're doing this with 8 different measures, rather than a single measure in the "Values" section, and the "brands" in the "Axis" section?

What you're describing is the expected behavior when multiple measures are added to the values - if instead you use a single measure and dimension ("Brand") on the axis, you would get the result you're looking for.

ebeery_0-1636595591645.png

Dear @ebeery 
thank you for your reply.
Here is a little explanation of how I came to my visual:

• The data is from a user survey asking about the awareness of different brands in a market
  • It was a multiple choice with multiple answers per user
  • In my data, every brand has their own column with either 1 (if clicked) and 0 (if not).
  • What I did is to create a measure to provide the % of the awareness per brand. 

My measure: 

% Awareness - Brand01 = (SUM(Market_Survey_Total[Awareness - Brand01]))/ (COUNT(Market_Survey_Total[Index])) ​

• Than I added the measures to the visual.

So I might used the wrong path here? 

Best regards and thank you again,

Tobias

Thanks @tobiask , that makes sense.  No, I don't think what you did is the "wrong" path necessarily, but what I've done in the past with survey data of that structure is to re-shape in Power Query by "Unpivoting" the data.

So instead of this:

RespondentBrand1Brand2
A01
B10

I end up with something like this:

RespondentBrandResponse
ABrand10
ABrand21
BBrand11
BBrand20

That way, "Brand" can be used as a dimension in all my report visualizations if needed.

Dear @ebeery 
I see what you did there. 
I guess you'll create another table, that lists, for every respondent, all mentioned brands in a single column but in multiple rows. 
E.g. 
Respondent A with Brand 1, Brand 3 and Brand 6 has three rows in this table?
The identifier between the master table and the "awareness" table would be the respondent ID?

I am quiet a rookie with this. How would the DAX look like to create this?

This is so helpful. Thank you. 

Tobias

Dear @ebeery ,
I was able to look into this myself and I found the right way to unpivot the columns (in a separate table) and the visual looks as it should now! 
But I do have another problem now: 
The data shows participants from two markets (same amount of participants). 
As there are some brands active in both markets and some in one of the markets, the absolute values are correct, but the relative values are not.
Any idea how you can help me out?
Number of participants per market: 1000
Number of brands in both markets: 7

Number of brands in market a: 3

Number of brands in market a: 4

I would like to display the overall awareness in both markets (and can control countries via filter). I hope you are getting an idea of my follow up problem.

Huge thanks again.

Tobi

Hey @tobiask I'm sorry, I'm not really able to follow what exactly you're describing.  Maybe an example of the data or .pbix file would help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.