Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jamuka
Advocate II
Advocate II

Circular Dependency

Hello,

I tried to create a stock report, based on stock quantity and forecast amount on Store/Warehouse level.

Numbers should change based on selection, e.g product x could have an 1000 total forecast but in warehouse1 it can be 100 and I want other related columns changed with this selection.

I create a measure for Stock / Days amount and tried to create calculated columns for distribution of this amount based on several conditions. So I can slice my stock amount based on product availability levels (Stock Qty / Forecast Qty) e.g "Out of Stock", "15-30 Days" etc. and it will changes accordingly.

But I get an error message  says "A circular dependency was detected"

I found that root of the problem is calculated tables but I don't have any in my report. Also I assume if I use measures instead of calculated columns there will be no problem. But I don't know how to do it.

Also I get an different error I tried to count my products distribition therefore I want to use distinct count but again I get an error.

"The expression contains multiple columns, but only a single column can be used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression."

attached you can see my file Stock Report 

kind regards

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jamuka 

This is a good refresher on circular dependencies: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/.

Power BI does not allow to have two calculated columns that contain measures that are also based on that table.  In order to understand why, you'd need a better understanding of what's going on under the hood.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft,

I read it but all I understand from it is, that I can not use a measure in a calculated colum, but didn't understand how to avoid it.

I'm trying to create a new table and will make my measure in it, then make my calculated columns in current table, maybe it will work.

thanks

Hi @jamuka 

If you'd like to avoid the Circular Dependency error, please :

1. Use measure instead of a calculated column.

2. If the calculated column is bound needed, please create it in power query using M code. 

3. Create a NEW table that manages the relationship between them, that not all calculated column fetches the data in the same table.

BTW, there no [Days] column in your sample that results in many formula errors. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft,

yes you are right about [Days] column, before I upload my sample, I simplfied and translate it ( I forgot to translate Days Column) normally it didn't cause a problem. I updated my file thank you.

I create a new table with product and Stock/Days column but because there's no location information in my new table I can't slice it correctly.

about your soluitions;

2 - I don't need to use calculated columns, my power bi knowledge is limited therefore I use it.

1 - I don't know how to use "IF" formulas in measures (e.g IF (Table[ColumnName] = "x")

3 - I don't understand how to do it?

kind regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.