Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

workingpbi
Regular Visitor

Cannot refresh a table in SSMS through xmla endpoint

I'm trying to refresh a table in Power BI dataset through XMLA endpoint in SSMS. I'm getting this error. "Stream does not support reading. The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request." The screenshot is the exact error message I see. 

A few points:

- I can refresh this exact same table with fewer data, but when it's full data, it gives me the error.

- I'm using a sql native query for the table

Has anybody experienced this? What would be the cause?

workingpbi_0-1696608477689.png

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
pmreis
Super User
Super User

Hi @workingpbi 

As you are able to refresh with a subset of data but not with the entire data, it seems you are experiencing a timeout. Here are a few things you can check:

1. Power BI Service Timeout:

• In the context of Power BI Service, there are predefined timeout limits for various operations, and these cannot be changed by end-users. For instance, dataset refreshes in Power BI Service have specific timeout limits based on the type of source and the service tier you're on.
  2. Power BI Desktop Query Timeout:

• In Power BI Desktop, you can adjust the timeout for specific data source queries.
      1. Go to File > Options and settings > Options.
      2. Under Current File, select Data Load.
      3. Adjust the Timeout value in minutes for the data source queries.
      4. Click OK.
  3. SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) Timeout:

• If you're using SSMS to run queries or scripts:
      1. Open SSMS and connect to your database.
      2. Go to Tools > Options.
      3. Navigate to Query Execution > SQL Server > General.
      4. Adjust the Execution time-out value (in seconds). Setting it to 0 means queries won't time out.
      5. Click OK.
  4. Power BI Gateway Timeout:

• If you're using the On-Premises Data Gateway to refresh datasets in Power BI Service, there are configuration files where timeout settings can be adjusted. However, modifying these settings requires a good understanding of the gateway's configuration and can impact other datasets that use the same gateway.
  5. Data Source Timeout:

• If you're connecting to a specific data source (like SQL Server), there might be timeout settings on the data source side that you can adjust. For instance, SQL Server has a Remote Query Timeout setting that defines how long a remote query will run before timing out.

Pedro Reis - Data Platform MVP / MCT
Making Power BI and Fabric Simple

If my response resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help others find it. If you found it helpful, please consider giving it a kudos. Your feedback is highly appreciated!

Find me at LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.